C5 Rear Suspension Clonking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JT
My Cars:

C5 Rear Suspension Clonking

Post by JT »

I have a 2.0HDI C5 2002 model. The rear suspension makes a clonking noise on bad bumpy roads.( Of which there are many in Ireland!!)
I bought the car privately so I have no come back with a garage.
However I did ask my local Citroen dealer to have a look at it. He says it needs two new rear spheres and dampers to stop the noise.
Apparently the new spheres he mentioned are a modified version of what is already on it.
So can anybody tell me what is the difference between the new modified spheres and the ones already on the car. Is there anything different about fitting them, or is it similar to the Xantia. What are Dampers? Are they easy to fit and would GSF stock them.
:(
JT
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The C5, as with other hydraulic Citroëns except the DS, have the dampers, or shock absorbers, built into the spheres.
Early C5's had rear axle problems; a factory recall was made and they were replaced at Citroëns expense. You should check with your local dealer if this has been done to your vehicle, thought it's a 2002 model and mainly 2001 models were recalled.
This factory recall also included new rear spheres, as the factory ones had incorrect pressures.
Do the bounce test on the car: push each corner down, it should sink around 10cm, maybe 15cms at the rear. If it feels solid, then the spheres need replacement.
The clonking noise could also come from the stabilizer bar droplinks. I'll let the experts do the talking from now on :)
Francisco
C5 2.0HDI smoothly riding on 1.8l version spheres :D
When the hearts beats like a pressure regulator you know it means one thing: Love
Citroën - pacemaking since 1955
brian.r.uk

Post by brian.r.uk »

hi jt
i had a clonking from the rear of my 2002 C5 2.0HDI and it turned out to be the exhaust back box banging on the chassis might be worth checking this before giving you hard earned cash to the stealers.
brian.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

Thanks for the help Francisco. I haven't tried the sphere test yet, but I will do at the weekend. While I'm at it I will check the stabilizer drop links.
I am pretty sure it is not the exhaust box that is causing the problem Brian. It seems to be secure enough. However I will have another look at the weekend while I am checking the other bits.
Thanks Guys.
:)
JT
bencowell

Post by bencowell »

Did you get a price for changing the spheres?
Currently driving a 2004 C5 VTR (old shape) and an Electric Kia Soul. Sorry but the electric one is my favourite!
Formerly Hyundai Genesis 3.8 V6, 2 x Kia Optima, 2 x C5, Xsara and Saxo.
JT
My Cars:

Post by JT »

The price I got was for replacing the rear spheres and fitting dampers(whatever they are) which was 540.00 Euro.
Think I will have to listen to the clonking for a while longer!! :roll:
JT