Synergie 1.9TD Cold Start, A teeny weeny gripe....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sub42
My Cars:

Synergie 1.9TD Cold Start, A teeny weeny gripe....

Post by sub42 »

Hi all,

May I just take time to introduce myself, my name is Mark, and I'm new here, so go easy on me OK!

I have just bought a Synergie 1.9TD, and what a car! 50K on the clock, and two grand cheaper than a pony Sharan with a shady spec!

A little problem however, that I think might be the glow plugs. Its a little 'fluffy' on start up, but once it warms up, am I mean after 45 secs, it's OK.

Next question then, if I may, are there ever any problems on changing them. I am so paranoid after watching a mate have to pay £1200 to have his Vectra head spark eroded and welded/helicoiled after snapping off a glow plug!

Please tell me I'm not going to suffer the same fate!

Thaks in advance for any info.

Mark.
Previous convictions for ferret and giraffe rustling.

Synergie 1.9td SX loaded spec.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Bad starting can usually be traced to one of 2 problems - faulty glowplugs or air in the fuel.

You can test the glowplugs in situ by simply disconnecting each one in turn and check the resistance using a multimeter (should be virtually zero) or a test lamp. If any are defective the whole set should be changed. I don't know what access is like in a Synergy but its not easy to do one of the end ones generally.

As for the plugs snapping off - its not a common problem - the official torque figures aren't very high and your are probably the originals and so properly fitted. (On my BX TD some idiot had cross threaded one and I had to get it out turning it about 10 degrees at a time! - fortunately there was enough thread left to get a new one - head has now been replaced!)

If you operate the hand primer before starting and there is an improvement this may be a sign of air in the fuel. If you have a Bosch pump the leakoff pipes may be important - Roto-diesel / Delphi / Epic / Lucas (fundamentally the same) they will not make any difference
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: Synergie 1.9TD Cold Start, A teeny weeny gripe....

Post by fastandfurryous »

sub42 wrote:Next question then, if I may, are there ever any problems on changing them. I am so paranoid after watching a mate have to pay £1200 to have his Vectra head spark eroded and welded/helicoiled after snapping off a glow plug!
Panic ye not.

Even if you were to shear off a spark plug, (which would be the first time I have EVER heard of it happening in a 1.9TD engine) a good secondhand replacement head is well under a tenth of what your mate paid.

If they are tight, run the engine up to temperature, and "crack" them while the engine is hot. It is easier to "crack" them with a hot engine as the alumimium of the head expands more than the steel of the body of the glowplug.

When fitting new ones, a smear of coppergrease on the threads will ensure that they come out again when you want them to.
This is not a signature.