Yet another problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mcgregor
My Cars:

Yet another problem

Post by mcgregor »

Guys
Maybe someone can help me with yet another problem on my 2001 Xantia Hdi. This has been a really bad and expensive month for it. Sometimes I get a distinct ticking noise from the front of the car usually after running for a few miles and then stopping at traffic lights or the like. The best way I can describe the noise is like an old SU fuel pump that is running dry sort of noise. It doesn’t always happen but usually if I turn the engine off and then on again it has gone. Its definitely coming from the front of the engine area. Can it be the hydraulic pump? If so why would it tick so fast as this?
Thanks
Dave
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

It would help if you were a little more specific about the origin os the noise! It could be the accumulator or pressure regulator. Please try to find out exactly where the noise is comming from!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Could be a flat accumulator sphere.
The one on my Xantia ticks like crazy when you ask it to do any serious work, sounds almost 'pump' like.

Hopefully it's not something more expensive.
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Hi I just read the post on NOISY HDI FUEL FILTER and wonder if indeed I have the same problem. It'll have to wait till tonight to investigate a bit closer. gulp!!!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

How fast is it ticking? It could be a number of things from accumulators as mentioned above to a failing cam belt or tensioner-When it happens, though, does it increase when your foot is on the brake?
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Its ticking very fast. As I say like an old type SU pump when the tank is dry if you can remember that sort of sound. Its defiantely not the cambelt as I tried it at lunchtime there and it does it sometimes even with the engine not running. So to me that also rules out the hydraulic pump.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Start engine.
Let car rise.
Push down on back of car, preferably by sitting your full weight on the boot.
Does ticking increase frequency as the boot re-levels ?
Thats a surefire way to make mine tick.

Also, set the car at minimum height, wait for it to settle, and ramp it up to maximum. Do you get 'tick-tick-tick' as it rises ? You may also get STOP and :!: glowing slightly while the pressure builds up...
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

mcgregor wrote:it does it sometimes even with the engine not running
It's doing it when the car is parked ?
Isn't it something contracting when cooling down ?
Or the struts binding ?
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

"Isn't it something contracting when cooling down ?
Or the struts binding ?"
No definately not. I tried it at lunchtime there when it does it (its not all the time) its a distinct very rapid ticking actually almost continuous. Definately coming from the front area of the engine. Can't actually get near at the moment due to the HDi engine covers but when I get home I shall try to isolate the area or component. The fact that it still does it without the engine on tells me it cannot be the hydraulic pump and my current feeling is that it is something to do with the fuel system.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Fuel pump relay ?
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

"Fuel pump relay ?"
Mmm worth a thought. Any idea where it is?
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Come to think of it... a diesel's pump is driven by the engine...

Then again...a HDI's is electrical, is it not ?
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Yes! The HDi pump is electrical.
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
mcgregor
My Cars:

Post by mcgregor »

Tried to locate the sound last night after I got home but try as I might the car simply refused to do it outside the house so I am no further on in locating the exact area. I did all the usual up/down on the suspension without any problems or extra noises being apparent. On the way home of course it did it at traffic lights about a mile from home, when I stopped the engine and restarted it the noise had gone! Did it again this morning on the way to work. Again at traffic lights although I suspect that you can only hear it when the car actaully stops moving. What I have noticed though is that the idle speed of the engine goes up from the normal 820rpm to about 950rpm when this ticking/hammering noise is there. I really wonder if that other thread about “NOISY HDI FUEL FILTER” is what I am getting but intermittently after about 25 miles driving.
Dave
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Is it a HDI 110 with a dual mass flywheel?

The dual mass flywheels are known to come apart, and I'd expect the crank position sensor to work off the flywheel, if the crank position sensor was giving dodgy data it could explain the idle speed going up which could tenuously explain the problem.