How do i bleed a BX 1.7 TZD Turbo cooling system

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mak224751
My Cars:

How do i bleed a BX 1.7 TZD Turbo cooling system

Post by mak224751 »

Hi,
I have had to replace a few hoses on the BX today ](*,) . Filled back up with water but can't seem to find the bleed screws on the system with the exception of the one on the top of the thermostat housing. Does anyone know if there are any more.

Thanks
1993 Xantia 1.9TD (Died)
1990 BX 17TZD Turbo
Peugot 406 HDi
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Only that one and the screw on top of the readiator (near side) on my DTR Turbo (89 with huge thermostat.)

I fill the header fully and wait. Sometimes putting the cap on and squeezing the top hose can hurry it a bit. Best to start it and let it cool after you've done it as it will draw water from the header. Keep an eye on the level for a couple of days in case any more air is expelled.
jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the best and simplest way to bleed the system,is remove cap and the plug on top left end of rad,put coolant 8in untill it comes out of therad plug hole and stops sinking,replace the plug and remove any bleed valves you can find,put heater control fuull on to hot,continue to put coolant in untill it comes out of the bleed points,relace bleed valves,if coolant dose not come out of these points start engine and run it untill it dose then relpace valves continue to run engine with rad/header tank cap off for a few minns,if coolant seems to be seteled replace cap and run engine till fans cut in,whait till they cut back out then gently open rad/header tank cap,if coolant is calm every thing is fine,but if it is not let coolant setle top it up to the corect level,replace the cap and run it up till fans cut in again continue as before
regards malcolm
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

The thermostat is the villian of the peace here, because its closed when the engine is cold, it is very difficult to get all the air out of the head and if you dont, you could end up with it cracked. If you disconnect the return heater hose and fill the header tank with the engine running until water free of bubbles emerges, you will have got most of the air out of the head and bled the heater at the same time! You can bleed it without doing this but it takes a long time.