BX 1.7TZD - Tach sender and rubber wrists

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Linegeist
My Cars:

BX 1.7TZD - Tach sender and rubber wrists

Post by Linegeist »

The tacho decided to stop working just after I sprayed some light oil onto the back of the engine to help ease the stiff gearchange linkages (the car's been stood for years apparently).

Gearchange now works smoothly, but the tacho's started cutting out at around 2,500rpm and won't work again until switched off for 5 minutes or so.

I'm assuming electrical/sender and I know it's at the rear of the bellhousing adjacent to the flywheel .............. but without a tame goblin, how the hell d'you get to it????? :roll:

It appears the radiator-type thing (intercooler?) at the top of the engine is easy to undo - does it just pivot out of the way for access? Any gotchas I ought to know about?? Is the Pope a Catholic??? :shock:

Ta in advance chaps:

PS: Veggie oil - Tesco rapeseed - 50/50 ..... purrrrfect. Interestingly, it runs smoother than the acrid mineral stuff we're supposed to use. 8) 8) 8)
Regards
Bob
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

The one on my BX TD looks easy enough when I'm lying on my back underneath it!

make sure its well supported (on ramps?) and get underneath! it won't be the last time you have to!
jeremy
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

The sender is removable from under the car.

If it is the sender that is faulty, I have used a TDC sensor as a replacement and it works fine.
Brian - 86 Visa 17D Sorn(192K)/ 86 BX 17RD (220K) Scrapped/ 92 BX 17TZD Turbo Diesel (191K)
96 306 XRDT (174K)
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would first check and clean the plug conector,as you have perobably distubed it when you where down the back of the engine,just pull it apart clean and grease the pins,put it back to gether,otherwise you can replace it from the top
regards malcolm
Linegeist
My Cars:

Post by Linegeist »

Excellent stuff! Thanks blokes ............. jacked her up and settled on the stands and slid underneath and sure enough, there, in full view, was the sender bolted up behind the flywheel. Took it off, cleaned it and it's horribly corroded connector plug up, packed the plug body with vaseline and reassembled. Bingo! Fixed tacho........

I also managed to get better access to the dry gear linkages for another good squirt too! 8) 8) Smoooooth.........

Great advice yet again guys - ta!!!!
Regards
Bob