Xantia HDi - 'jingling noise'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

neil get your crank case pulley renewed.

My xsara hdi seemed to have same noise ,I thoaght it was camshaft noise / or exhaust loose . I took notice of this forum and had crank case pulley replaced , NOISE went .

Cost me 190 quid fitted , Perhaps the best 190 quid spent.
2.0 hdi xsara estate been a pain but starting to look like a good buy
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Hi Simon - thanks for that.

I've booked it in for a cambelt change tomorrow anyway, and to see if they can see what is making the noise - which is now very definite at 2000rpm and can also be heard fractionally above idle.

Its a 'ringing/jingling' sound - someone else suggested like wine glasses clinking as they vibrate in a box, which together with the 'jingling' description is quite festive I suppose - although it will no doubt decide to reveal its hand when there's a foot of snow and I'm a hundred miles from home!

Does that sound like YOUR noise? If so, I'll get them to change the pulley if they can't see anything obvious before doing the belt. (mate's garage, not stealership, I hasten to add!)

Ta

Neil
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Neil Sounds the same as my one did . Noise seemed to be only between 2000 and 3000 (My first thoaght was camshaft eg noisy tappets) . (but then again I didnt wait to see if got better or worse) as found a piece of metal in my aux belts which had stripped of from pulley (had it repaired last week). If having the timing belt done might be worth getting pulley replaced . My hdi is still on original timing belt and the pulley let loose at 86,000 , the timing belt on my is changed at 100,000 as per manufactures spec.
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

HDi festive jingling...

Post by neil123 »

Simon - cheers mate, just been to 'visit' my HDi in the garage - the new belt is on and they've shown me the old crankshaft pulley, which doesn't look that bad but if you manhandle it, can create a metallic clink - I'm convinced this is it cured, once the new one is on. (Getting one tomorrow - £122 plus VAT from Citroen, no doubt cheaper via GSF but Citroen are closer...!) I decided to renew the belt early since I'm a bit dubious about the 100k change interval - that said, the belt looks new at 70k so maybe was overcautious.

Thanks again

Neil
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Post by neil123 »

Well... as they say in the trade, 'bugger'!

It wasn't the pulley, runs very sweetly as before, just it jingles exactly the same....!

AAArgh!

Ah well, try again tomorrow!

N
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

Neil sorry to hear that not fixed . :( .

They way you descruibed fault sounded like the pulley.

Do not now what else it maybe. :?
ralph
My Cars:

Post by ralph »

My ZX jingles. When I replaced the cambelt there was slight play in both the belt's tensioner and idler puller. I've always assumed that was where the jingling noise comes from.
Sorry I didn't see this thread earlier - if this is what is what your problem is.
Of course, the bloke who changed your cambelt should have checked the condition of your tensioner and idler pulley when doing the job. If there's play in them, they need changing.
(I didn't change my tensioner and idler because the wear was slight, and I knew the rusty bodyshell would finish the car at MoT time)
2000 Clio 1.2 8-valve
1993 Mercedes 190E
2007 Honda FRV diesel
1998 Xsara TD, 293K - gone but not forgotten.
205s, 405, ZXs all loved and crushed.
JohnT
My Cars:

Post by JohnT »

From the jingling I have come accross on several marques it is usually the ceramic in the cat breaking up in to smaller pieces. To eliminate that bounce the cat around with your hand (nothing harder) and it should create the noise, in fact do all the system!
Cheers!
John
neil123
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Got ya!

Post by neil123 »

Well... found it today!

Its the turbo heatshield, which has fractured at a mounting and is ... 'jingling'!

Simple as that, except they're on back order from Cit and looks like a swine to fit...

But looking on the bright side, we did spot a badly corroded power steering HP pipe :shock:, and that the water pump is now weeping slightly :cry: ...as am I! :evil:

Still, its only money, and once I've spent all that it'll still be worth sod all, so it'll be staying with me, then!

;-)