Xantia HDi - 'jingling noise'

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Xantia HDi - 'jingling noise'

Post by neil123 »

Hi - Xantia 110 HDi, making a 'jingling' noise at/around 2500 revs plus - sounds like a loose exhaust clamp or maybe the fan on an alternator, left loose.. but isn't either of those! Any thoughts?

Meanwhile - on another matter! My initial investigation of this noise centred around the exhaust and I found that it was almost parted, just in front of the join with the back box - and also split just in front of the cat. The part is mega-expensive from Cit and not cheap from exhaust factors - however my garage identified that the frontpipe for the non-cat Turbo diesel will fit, as long as the machined mounting ring at the front end is cut off and replaced by the one from the old pipe - different turbo flange. The result is excellent - motor revs more freely, feels faster and is 3-4 mpg more economical. Well worth doing - even after paying half an hours labour to change the flange over, it still saved me almost £200 on the cat pipe... and the car is better as a result. Still jingles, though, dammit! :-(
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Have a good look at the crankshaft pulley - they are prone to delaminating. Usually shows up as a knocking noise after cold starts, but anything is possible... If it's failing it will probably be covered in rusty dust. If it's really bad, then you may find metal shards around the pulley. Note that total failure of the pulley can lead to the cambelt coming off, so early action is advised!
Richard W
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Also, please note that there is a very typical problem with the HDi (and maybe other MKII) Xantiae. There is a very annoying vibration in the break calipers or near at low RPM... There is a special workaround for this problem. Your citroen Stealer should know about it!
Xantia Activa 2.0 HDi (1999)
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Fiat Uno 45s (1987) - RIP
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

I have also seen it mentioned on here that the noise can be associated to leaking injectors. Its a good idea to change the pulley anyway though.
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
dieseldes1

Post by dieseldes1 »

Just another thing to look at! mine is has a jangling noise at low reves, I have traced it to the A/C clutch, As soon as the A/C gets switched on the noise goes away, Now has anyone changed the clutch without removing the compressor??, Might try it before it falls apart

Des
C5 2L 90hp estate 2001 118,000
Peugot 2L HDI 2000 82,000
Xantia 2 1.9TD Estate 1998 100,000 'oops' does not mate with BMW
Xantia 1.9TD saloon 1996 120,000 Sold
Honda CB450dx 1990
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

drpau,

What is the leaking injectors about? Do you mean leaking to the ouside world or leaking in the sense that the spray profile is no good anymore?

On a CR I guess leaking out would be chaos!
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

dieseldes1 wrote:Just another thing to look at! mine is has a jangling noise at low reves, I have traced it to the A/C clutch, As soon as the A/C gets switched on the noise goes away, Now has anyone changed the clutch without removing the compressor??, Might try it before it falls apart

Des
My 97 TD A/c clutch has been rattling for 80,000 miles now. I was told (by the original dealer and by the independent that I now use) that there's no cheap fix, and that it'll probably just keep going if I can live with the rattling....

Cheers
Pete
Xantia HDi 110 Excl Estate 140k
C5 HDi 138 Estate
dieseldes1

Post by dieseldes1 »

My 97 TD A/c clutch has been rattling for 80,000 miles now. I was told (by the original dealer and by the independent that I now use) that there's no cheap fix, and that it'll probably just keep going if I can live with the rattling....
Mine has been rattling for the last 20K looked at it last night while replacing the belt and found the bearing was totally goosed so unfortunately I am going to have to replace it :cry: So it's a choice of clutch (citroen £233), exchange compressor £250 or s/h £65 :roll:
I suspect it's also causing the belt to wear out in about 16K whatever happens I am going to have to do it sooner rather than later. ](*,)

Des
C5 2L 90hp estate 2001 118,000
Peugot 2L HDI 2000 82,000
Xantia 2 1.9TD Estate 1998 100,000 'oops' does not mate with BMW
Xantia 1.9TD saloon 1996 120,000 Sold
Honda CB450dx 1990
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Rostami wrote:drpau,

What is the leaking injectors about? Do you mean leaking to the ouside world or leaking in the sense that the spray profile is no good anymore?

On a CR I guess leaking out would be chaos!
Yeah, I wouldnt want a sqirt of that in my face at that pressure :lol:

From the description I read on here its associated with leaking internally.
I still have the 'jingling'/ rattling and changed my pulley about 15k ago - the jingling never went away so i assume it is down to the 'leaky injector' theory.

If you do a search you should find the old posts...
99 Xsara SX HDi 105k with PSi power box- smokier but well worth the wonga!
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Also, please note that there is a very typical problem with the HDi (and maybe other MKII) Xantiae. There is a very annoying vibration in the break calipers or near at low RPM... There is a special workaround for this problem. Your citroen Stealer should know about it!
Hi Rostami,
I've had the caliper problem on my HDI Xsara (very annoying rattle/vibration at low revs, which went away when I replaced the worn brake pads). Do you have any info on what the 'fix' is for this problem?
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Hi Nutcase,

There is an official Citroen Fix to the problem. Citroen France knows of the problem. Most Citroen Portugal´s stealers have no clue.

AFAIK you must place some kind of plate behind the break calipers or pads. their effect is to shut the beast up!
Renault Clio 1.9D (1994)
BX 16TRS (1984) - RIP
Nutcase
My Cars:

Post by Nutcase »

Thanks for the info Rostami, I'll try one of our UK 'stealers' when my current pads wear down and start vibrating again! :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What about the jingling noise - appearantly not emanating from the brakes ?
Are we talking the "twaanng" sound like playing with a plastic scale ? - exactly at a certain rpm -

- as I still got this mysterious low rpm sound on my BXturd. No matter accelaration/decelaration and several attempts to clear the space down there near the exhaust. Nothing appears to be dangling/rattling/loose anywhere.
Lower engine mount is replaced this summer. That did not help but in general I've got less vibration from engine.
It's very annoying as I dont even have minimised the sound in any of my attempts.
Anders (DK) - '90 BX16Image
paulbx
My Cars:

Anders annoying twang/rumbling

Post by paulbx »

Possibly part of the exhuast baffle has come away and is jangling around?

paulb
Broomie(paulB) Xantia Hdi 90 estate
neil123
My Cars: 2001 Xantia 110 Hdi Forte estate - owned from new.
1984 2cv Special
Various modern crap!

Re: Anders annoying twang/rumbling

Post by neil123 »

paulbx wrote:Possibly part of the exhuast baffle has come away and is jangling around?

paulb
That's exactly what it sounds like - but its had a new exhaust trying to cure this, without any luck. the nearest I can describe it is, at certain revs circa 2500, it sounds like something rotating is loose - sounds like a loose alternator fan ie the bit behind the pulley with bent wire 'vanes' on it - but its not that.

Still drives well otherwise - no other symptoms. (Give it time!) ;-)

Any thoughts welcome!

N