Accumulator sphere / "sit in boot" check method.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Accumulator sphere / "sit in boot" check method.

Post by fastandfurryous »

Here's an odd situation with the CX that I can't work out.

The PR ticks at about 30 second intervals, and all the hydraulics seem to work almost perfectly. However:

If you try the sit-in-the-boot test after turning the engine off, it refuses to move. The back end drops about 8-10" when I sit in the boot, but then just stays there regardless of how long I leave it.

But... if after switching the engine off, you sit fairly still in the drivers seat, and push the height lever to max, the front of the car jumps up about 2", and the back 1", indicating that there was a fair bit of pressurised fluid available.

So how come the back won't react on it's own?
This is not a signature.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: Accumulator sphere / "sit in boot" check metho

Post by Mandrake »

fastandfurryous wrote:Here's an odd situation with the CX that I can't work out.

The PR ticks at about 30 second intervals, and all the hydraulics seem to work almost perfectly. However:

If you try the sit-in-the-boot test after turning the engine off, it refuses to move. The back end drops about 8-10" when I sit in the boot, but then just stays there regardless of how long I leave it.
8 to 10 inches ??? The suspension doesn't have that much travel from top to bottom let alone middle height to bottom. :lol:
But... if after switching the engine off, you sit fairly still in the drivers seat, and push the height lever to max, the front of the car jumps up about 2", and the back 1", indicating that there was a fair bit of pressurised fluid available.

So how come the back won't react on it's own?
What is the difference in time delay between you turning off the engine and sitting in the boot vs turning the engine off and moving the lever ? Perhaps if there is a pressure leak by the time you get out of the car and walk to the back there is no longer enough pressure.

Also if your weight (and don't take this the wrong way :lol: ) is completely bottoming the suspension, it may take a considerable amount of oil displacement to begin to lift the suspension from the lower limit stop, which may not be available from the accumulator.

What happens if you lift an object into the boot thats a bit lighter, say 20-30Kg ?

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Could the height corrector linkage be stiff? - does it rise with the engine running?
jeremy
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Re: Accumulator sphere / "sit in boot" check metho

Post by fastandfurryous »

Mandrake wrote:8 to 10 inches ??? The suspension doesn't have that much travel from top to bottom let alone middle height to bottom. :lol:
well, it's well over 6" for sure. I will measure, just out of interest. But remember that a CX has more suspension travel than most Cit's
I also think it's riding a bit high, so there's more downward travel available than there should be.
mandrake wrote:What is the difference in time delay...
Hopefully not too much different. I have tried waiting about 30 seconds in the car before moving the lever, and it still reacted.
mandrake wrote:Also if your weight (and don't take this the wrong way :lol: ) is completely bottoming the suspension, What happens if you lift an object into the boot thats a bit lighter, say 20-30Kg ?
I don't think I'm completely bottoming out the suspension, but being a rather large bloke (under tall, not over weight!) this may have something to do with it...
jeremy wrote:Could the height corrector linkage be stiff? - does it rise with the engine running?
From memory, yes it does. Certainly the height correction both front and rear seems very accurate, so I don't think there's anything mechanically faulty.

A little more investigation required.....
This is not a signature.