Fix for sticky BX temperature control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Fix for sticky BX temperature control

Post by bxbodger »

My BX, like most others suffered from the sticky control syndrome, so I used to give it a daily twist to keep it free.
I recently renewed the anti-freeze, however, and now its not sticky and is in fact very smooth and easy to operate!
The difference this time is that I used the new type organic anti-freeze: a bit dearer, and also pink :shock: but its supposed to stay in grade for at least 5 years, so cheaper in the long run.
I can only imagine its because it has a different formulation and set of additives to the old change every 2 years type, and it HAS made a definate difference!!
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Did your stuff come as ready mixed coolant? I did the job on my car this summer. Drained off all the old coolant, and MOST IMPORTANTLY flushed the system out very throughly. Apparently nasty things happen if the two sorts of coolant are mixed :cry:
I used something made by Comma, it is a pinky red colour and came from the local motor factors, at a very good price!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Mine was unmixed. It did give a warning about how older types may not be compatible, so I gave it a good flush out first. So far, no problems!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Occasionally the temperaturer control on my BX gets a bit sticky - and I simply spray it with silicon lubricant which eases it temporarily. I've had the car 6 years and suppose I've done it 4 times!

Jeremy
jeremy