XM Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jade Falcon
My Cars:

XM Headlights

Post by Jade Falcon »

I've had quite a few minor electrical problems on my XM that has of yet remained unsolved, however, this is a pretty serious one.

Sometimes when I switch my headlights on, the sidelights will be okay, the main beam would be ok, but standard headlights won't.

Is it worth checking the fuses? I'm not knowledgable about car electrics so I thought that if a fuse was faulty it would be a case of either the lights work or they don't, however sometimes they do. It just takes a case of restarting the car a few times, but it is getting annoying.

Any help would be appreciated.
1994-95 Citroen XM 2.0 CT Turbo Exclusive Hatchback
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

It's nearly always one of the relays above the RH headlamp cluster - they vibrate out of their sockets, start arcing and often melt the plastic of the relay holder. The number of relays varies from country to country and from year to year. For example, cars fitted with daylight running lights have 3 relays, all connected with teh headllihgts/sidelight day running lights.

//NiSk
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Okay, what can I do about it?

It's an M registration (1994-95) Series 2 XM 2 Litre Exclusive. Right hand drive model.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Start by identifying the relay(s) above the RH headlamp cluster (seen from drivers seat). Try and pull it/them out of the holder(s). Check the state of the contact blades, replace if burnt of corroded (a four-pin relay is a normal single pole on/off while a five pin is single pole change over) don't mix them up if you have different types.

Also check the relay holder(s) for deformation/overheating replace if damaged, the contact sockets get overheated and loose their tension, thus resulting in even poorer contact.

//NiSk
splat2

Post by splat2 »

If it uses H1 bulbs like the Xantia take a good look at them. I've twice had an intermittent dip beam and discovered that the filament had broken away completely inside the bulb. It lies there in the glass envelope until you go over a bump then fuses back on to the 'legs' for a while.
'97 Xantia TD 170k
Jade Falcon
My Cars:

Post by Jade Falcon »

Anyone got any pictures of what these relays look like? Neither the handbook or the Haynes manual is really helpful.

Is it worth checking the fuses? Or is it a case of the lights will either work or they won't?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Just take them all out (one at a time) and check the condition of the blades. They are about 1. 1/4" square (35mm?) and usually have 5 connecting blades. They tend to suffer from corrosion due to their location so on replacement smear some grease on the blades.