'Brown wire trick' for dodgy ignition switches

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeicsVTR
My Cars:

'Brown wire trick' for dodgy ignition switches

Post by LeicsVTR »

After reading lot so forum posts around the internet, it looking likely that I have a faulty ignition switch.

Dozens of people have been vouching for the reliablilty if the seemingly infamous 'brown wire trick' for patching up the ignition switch.

This seems to be a way to cure some of car's minor electrical faults.

Before doing such as thing, could somebody explain what this patch-up actually does and what the inplications of it are.

For a start, I don't want to be draining my battery by permanent powering up all my car's auxilliary systems or anything like that!

Thanks
'00 Saxo VTR
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think it depends on what the problem with the switch is.
On BX 16Vs and to a lesser extent on other BXs, there seems to be a trendency to have the start section of the switch pack it in. This we've found is often caused by low voltage which is itself caused initially by wire degradation.
In those cases, the wire leading from the starter solenoid on the actual starter motor is seperated at the bayonet junction, a wire taken from the battery to a relay via a make and break push button switch and mounted on the steering column shroud and then run down from the relay to the solenoid wire. This guarantees full 12 volts to the solenoid and often saves the starter.
If however you are just talking about the actual ignition side of it, I'd guess they are connecting the ignition wire (presumeably brown) and connecting it to the accessories part of the switch and jumping it from there. This section to my knowledge isn't prone to failure unless you are driving around with a bunch of keys the size of the County Jailer in which case often reducing the weight to the switch by removing all but the ignition key will often solve the problem.

Alan S
RIP Sept 19th 2008.

She said "Put the cat out" She didn't mention it was on fire!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if you have a saxo with the heated rear window,heater blower motor & power steering (if fitted) not working then you do the 'brown wire trick' well actually the brown PLUG as the wire colours can vary. see this recent post > http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=16428
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

may be taking the switch apart and clean the contacts will fix your prob,it dose most of the time with BXs
regards malcolm
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

First you need to access the connector block feeding the ignition switch. This is behind the steering column trim. The cable carries the current to the switch and from the switch to the starter motor. If you have a faulty ignition switch simply turn the key barrel to its fully open position (the ignition bulb on the dash should light up) and use a short length of cable to short across the the two terminals on the connector block. The cable allows the current to activate the starter.

You should only use this as a method to get you going. Replace the faulty ignition switch as soon as you can. If you are careful the existing key barrel can be fitted to the new ignition switch assembly.

Stephen
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles