Xantia Radio Query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mezuk04
My Cars:

Xantia Radio Query

Post by mezuk04 »

I'm hopefully purchasing a 2000 Xantia Exclusive Mk2 Stereo with boot changer to install into my car (See Sig) in order to use my steering wheel controls :) ....however while browsing Ebay as I often do while at work I came across this stereo...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Citroen-Xantia-Mk ... dZViewItem

And the seller mentions that a previous buyer couldnt get the steering wheel controls to work possibly with it being a Mk1 and Mk2....

So was just wondering if this is certainly the case???

Also an update on getting air con for the car......went to scrappies and found a front end smashed Xantia R-Reg SX 1.9td .... with Wilkobob's quick thinking, i had it off unfortuantly the brackets had sheered off and there was a small hole in it....however I now have found the correct compressor i need for the car...so im off to local citroen dealer at lunch time to get the part number and maybe even a price :shock: ..... but at least i now have one to compare.

Slowly getting the Xantia on form....and the ride is slightly more smoother now with the recent LHM change and it tends to rise that bit quicker too.
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Sorry to piggyback on your thread, but my question is very similar - I have a 1997 Mk 1 Xantia, and the radio is a japanese one which only covers from 75 to 90 Mhz (roughly) instead of 88 to 108, and as well as that the display backlight is blown, and I've been unable to find any service data for it through normal channels, so I'm now faced with finding another radio for the car, but I really want one that will work with the VSX steering wheel controls.

Does anyone have any info on the wiring of these controls and what radios do and dont work with these controls ? Is there some standard for steering wheel control wiring or is it Citroen specific ?

The owners manual shows a wiring diagram and pinout for the radio connections including the steering wheel controls but it does NOT match whats actually in my car. :cry:

Regards,
Simon
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Mandrake....I have an existing stereo that i dont use at the moment and once i purchase this radio and boot changer combination....not entirely sure which way it will be going round but i will have one stereo that wont be needed, more than likely the Mk1 which i need to get the code for so if your interested once I get mine sorted i could probably offer you a very good price for mine :D ....sadly it would appear your on the other side of the world....so my rates may not be as competitive as i first thought :oops:
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
easterroad

Post by easterroad »

I successfully replaced my MkII radio ( a Philips model? ) with an alpine unit which can be operated with the steering controls - I bought the wiring harness from here - http://www.caraudiodirect.co.uk/index.p ... 773f4d5e6b - dead easy to install and costs about £37 in total. But judging from the varieties of harnesses you can buy there seems to be up to 3 different "flavours" of steering control, so you may find it difficult to cross fit xantia stereos.
dieseldes1

Post by dieseldes1 »

I have Xantia Mk2 98, and found after buying a cdchanger from a xantia, that it changed in 2000 :( , (mine was a 2000 on changer, oh well! sold on Ebay!! :D )

I did look for a radio from a 2000 model, but found out during visit to my local dealer (very helpfull parts department) the mounting brackets in the dash were different and if I change them then the Steering wheel controls still wouldnt work!!! and if you try and change the steering wheel and wiring you would have the airbag to contend with. :?
So MK1 Steering wheel controls won't work with a MK2 and the MK2 changed in 2000, and neither appears to be backword compatable (or forward for that matter :( )

So after looking into parts numbers and parts and costs I admitted defeat and went and bought a compatable cdchanger and cable (actually from a Peugot 306)
C5 2L 90hp estate 2001 118,000
Peugot 2L HDI 2000 82,000
Xantia 2 1.9TD Estate 1998 100,000 'oops' does not mate with BMW
Xantia 1.9TD saloon 1996 120,000 Sold
Honda CB450dx 1990