Xantia TD fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ciaran
My Cars:

Xantia TD fans

Post by Ciaran »

Hi folks...

I was wondering, can anyone tell me where the fan switches are on the 1.9TD engine ?
I'm having an issue with the thermostat not opening (radiator remains cold), and would like to test out the fans too.

What temperature should the fans be starting at ?

Cheers :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

The fan switches are on the thermostat housing.
If the car has air conditioning there is a 'Bitron' electronic control box to operate the fans.
Both fans have to start spinning at the low speed when the engine reaches about 90ºC.
If you disconnect the brown sensor on the thermostat housing, both fans should start spinning at the high speed.

Here is the map:
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi, thanks for that link, most helpful.

It's a non-AC model, I should have mentioned.

It would seem I have 2 problems then, my fans are definately not coming on at 90, and the thermostat isn't opening to allow coolant to the radiator, as it stays freezing cold, as does the top hose... though the thermostat housing gets very hot, and I can actuallly hear pressure trying to hiss out the sides of the interface where the top hose joins the thermostat housing...

fun fun :)

With regards to replacing the thermostat, how is it removed, just by turning ? Also, can anyone say if a new one will include the rubber sealing gasket around the outside, or does this need bought seperately ?

Any thoughts much appreciated :)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't know the age of your Xantia but certainly on our ZX 1.9D (94) to replace the thermostat you simply undo the nuts holding the plastic housing on and take the thing out. The new one will probably be about 82 degrees and the old one may be 92 or so. There seems to be a retrospective modification and the 82 degree one is recommended for all. Your thermostat will come with a new 'O' ring gasket that fits round the outside. When I did the ZX one I was supplied with a thin one but in fact needed a thick one.

Clean it all up and refit and refill with antifreeze (mix)
jeremy
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

After the thermostat is urgently replaced, normal water flow should cause both fans to come on at the same time when the temperature reaches, say 82ºC with the new thermostat.
Both fans always have to do the same thing: both off, both on at low speed, both on at high speed.
At low speed, they are in series, so if one is faulty, usually worn brushes, neither will spin.
The fault can also be in the relays and connectors.
The fans and relays can be reached by removing the grill only.
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Can we have the moderators look into filing this map:

http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm

before they go belly up; see second entry here:

http://search.ninemsn.com.au/results.as ... &FORM=MSRE
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

jeremy wrote:I don't know the age of your Xantia but certainly on our ZX 1.9D (94) to replace the thermostat you simply undo the nuts holding the plastic housing on and take the thing out. The new one will probably be about 82 degrees and the old one may be 92 or so. There seems to be a retrospective modification and the 82 degree one is recommended for all. Your thermostat will come with a new 'O' ring gasket that fits round the outside. When I did the ZX one I was supplied with a thin one but in fact needed a thick one.

Clean it all up and refit and refill with antifreeze (mix)
Hi Jeremy,

Its a 1995 model, I forgot to mention.

I've actually had the hose off to reveal the thermostat, but I'm wondering how it actually removes from the engine... do you just grab the copper coloured 'bar' thing across the middle and pull ? or does it unscrew ?
The ring round the outside 'looks' thin, but having no basis for comparison, it could well be the thick type :)
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Clogzz wrote:After the thermostat is urgently replaced, normal water flow should cause both fans to come on at the same time when the temperature reaches, say 82ºC with the new thermostat.
Both fans always have to do the same thing: both off, both on at low speed, both on at high speed.
At low speed, they are in series, so if one is faulty, usually worn brushes, neither will spin.
The fault can also be in the relays and connectors.
The fans and relays can be reached by removing the grill only.
As far as I can see, the 'stat is definately not opening, as I let the car run to 105C yesterday, and the radiator and top hose remained stone cold.

I'll pickup a replacement thermostat someday this week and see how things fare with that.
I've never heard the fans run, so will have to take off the connector you mentioned and see if I can get them to start manually. Will be just my luck the relays are buggered :roll:

Found a nice drip drip emanating from somewhere below the radiator drain plug too... just what I need :evil:
Oystercatcher
My Cars:

Post by Oystercatcher »

Ciaran wrote:I've actually had the hose off to reveal the thermostat, but I'm wondering how it actually removes from the engine... do you just grab the copper coloured 'bar' thing across the middle and pull ? or does it unscrew ?
The ring round the outside 'looks' thin, but having no basis for comparison, it could well be the thick type :)
The thermostat just lifts out, no unscrewing required, though it may be stuck down by a bit of crud.

If there's any sign of a leak from the plastic cover, replace it. They don't cost much, even from a main stealer (The early ones distorted after a while - I had to replace mine on my old '94 TD VSX)

Alan
'98 Xantia TD SX 123K - Gone! - Now a Citroen-free zone :(
Wanted another Hydro Cit, didn't want a C5, can't afford a C6..... Yet :)
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

I was thinking of replacing the cover anyway, you're the second person to suggest it, and with good reason it would seem :)

Whats the actual name for the part ?

Cheers :D
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Just an update, new thermostat seems to have done the trick. Replaced it tonight, and coolant is now flowing freely into the radiator...
The temperature now refuses to climb above 85C :D

The old thermostat was in a right state... the centre of it had actually cracked, no wonder it wasn't operating.

Of course, the downside (isn't there always one)... is that my suspicions about a leak from under the radiator drain plug are correct :?

Oh well :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Goood !

As for the leak, it's possibly coming from the drain tap itself.
You may have to plug the leak with some sort of goo.
You may, most of all, have to wait for the opinion of the experts on the subject.
2002 C5 2.0i AL4 230,000 km 76372389