1.9TD timing belt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

marpate1
My Cars:

1.9TD timing belt change

Post by marpate1 »

Hi all,

I need to change the timing belt on my '94 Xantia. It's only done 70k miles, so based on age and mileage, is there anything else that I should change at the same time (Tensioner, Idler pulley, water pump)?

Cheers,
Mark
1994 Xantia 1.9TD SX
(much better than a Mondeo!)
citroenbx

Post by citroenbx »

I did the same on my ZX-TD 89K i seems fashionable to change the water pump at the same time as the Belt. Check the pulleys for play but i think you should change those in another 40K or so.

While i did the pump i also flushed the water system,changed the thermostat and its housing (dont forget the rubber seal) put in new coolant and changed the rad-cap.

I used De-Ionised water to re-fill (NO TAP WATER) from BOOKER Wholesalers 25p a litre (Four Bottles required)
Used 4L of Morris Antifreeze from GSF.

Also change the ancillery belt at the same time.

Just the way i did it........Hope this helps
Life feels good just as you complete No4 Glow Plug on a ZX-TD
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

If the cooling system has been looked after, at 70K the water pump and tensioner should be OK. When you've got the belt off give the pulleys a spin and a check for any rough running. Since it's a s*d of a job to put on a new auxiliary belt on at the roadside, I always fit a new one after I've done the cambelt.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Re: 1.9TD timing belt change

Post by mpr1956 »

Hi Mark, the only advice I could add is that you could make the first part of the job the removal of the crankshaft pulley end nut (while the engine is warm). This has been the stumbling block for a few cambelt changes (do a search here) so that if it gives you grief and won't loosen off through normal means, you can retire hurt but still mobile ! best wishes martin
I won't do that again
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I change the water pump every time I change a belt, I've done 5 up to now and each pump has shown signs of leaking through the vent hole. Not worth the aggro of leaving it and the damn thing leaking a few thousand miles later ](*,)
BX Slave