breaking in

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

victor xt
My Cars:

breaking in

Post by victor xt »

Hi mates, i'm a newbie. About a couple of months i bought a 1995 citroen zx avantage 1.4 TU3 and i had to perform a complete overhauling on the engine. Finally,i started the engine and everything seems perfect,steady rpms and low idle either,it has 100 miles now or 160 kilometers,but it is swallowing up a lot of fuel,about 6 or 7 kilometers per litre or 26 mpg. I know a new engine does need the breking in period and it may consumes more oil and fuel but in the case of fuel, is that so? i know the engine can give a minimum of 10 or 11 km per litre,so, please, some advice would be great...
thanks
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Im suprised that you had to rebuild your engine, the tu engine is usually a strong engine. What was the orginal problem. In terms of fuel consumption i only used to get about 30 mpg out of my 95 zx 1.4i around town, this would creep up to 45 mpg on a run. I would put some more miles on the engine as it will be tight after the rebuild im assuming that it had new main and big end bearings + piston rings etc. See how it is after the engine has covered a thousand miles or so.
victor xt
My Cars:

Post by victor xt »

thanks for that,i was wrong about the fuel consumption,i get about 19 MPG,about the engine,i fitted new pistons,rings and cilinders either,the same with the crankshaft bearings and the others bearings too. The problem was that there was a big crack in one cilinder(number 2)and the water was coming in the cilinder and there was some hydraulic block with the water, so i made almost a new engine. When i was finishing the engine and when we add the coolant there was a leak of coolant on the flywheel side, bad luck to me, after all of this, more problems so i send the engine for a good welding and problem solved. That's my story untill now, now the motor is very smoth but i get poor fuel consumption,that's my main concern now, please, any comments welcome
thanks again
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

If the fuel consumption is that low and the engine has been out I would look around the car and under the bonnet for any fuel leaks. Failing that would try and get engine management codes read to see if there is a fault. I would also check that the air filter is not blocked. And finally check that the tyre pressures are upto spec.