Xantia Rad Fan Speed query

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Xantia Rad Fan Speed query

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,
I wonder if you could help me with this one.
At what temperature(approxiamately)are the radiator fans meant to
come on:-
(A) at half speed
(B) full speed
I ask this because I've only ever known my rad fans to come on together
at what I would say was 'FULL' speed at an indicated temperature of 100 degrees (as per car temp gauge).
Should the fans come on sooner at half speed or is what I've described above half speed therefore at what temperature should the fans come on at full speed.
Sorry if that sounds confusing!
Also last month I renewed my radiator and coolant and when it came to bleeding the air out of the system as per haynes manual it says to let
the rad fans come on '3'times before you entertain the idea that all the air is purged from the system.On those occasions when the fans cut in,the temperature gauge indicated again 100 degress and ,what appeared to me, the fans were running at 'FULL' speed.
Is this correct or Huston do I have a problem ???
Thanks for your reply(s) in advance
Stevieboy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

The only time I hear my fans working on my 2.1 is when the aircon is on or in very hot weather when I'm going up hill with the caravan on the back. When they're full on, they are very noisy. My info is that first stage is at 92C and full speed is at 97C.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Yep, According to "Revue Technique" book (French Haynes but much better!!) on 1.9 TD (and 2.1)without A/C its low speed 92, high speed 97degrees,
with A/C it's low speed 90 and high speed 101 degrees.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Does this seem to imply that my fans should come on 'earlier' than indicated,because I can never
hear them if they do come on earlier(assuming its at half speed) and therefore I may have a
problem with them? By the way my Xantia does not have a/c.
If this does indicate I may have a problem,what should be the first thing I should check out?
Steviewonder
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Steve,
The fans should come on before 100°C - on my old non A/C TD, they came on at about 92 indicated. Presumably when you changed the radiator, you had to change over the thermal switch for the fans (under the top hose IIRC)? Not sure exactly how this works on the Xantia, but on the BX it used to give half speed if 2 of the pins were shorted out, and full speed if all 3 were shorted - probably the Xantia is the same. Try pulling the connector off the switch and seeing if you can make the fans come on at half and full speed.
We can discount the failure of one of the fans, since you say both come on together, albeit at full speed. That leaves either failure of the switch, or failure of the low speed relay(s). Shorting the connector out will tell you which. Changing the switch is relatively easy (although you will have to partially drain the cooling system again!). To get to the relays I think you need to strip the grill off, and you might find them inbetween the fans. They might be somewhere totally different though!
Let us know how you get on with the connector - I don't think you will cause a problem if you connect any 2 pins together, but it might be worth looking at the wiring diagram to see how it's supposed to work, or if you might cause a problem [|)]
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

Low speed not working is probably in the relays behind the grill.
There are several threads dealing with this problem, and here is the map:
http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/ws ... fanop1.htm
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks Richard thats great,
I'll look into your description in deatil later ,as long as it dont rain.
Yes you assume correctly, I swapped over the thermal switch to the new radiator as it seemed
to be functioning correctly at the time and before renewing the radiator.When I first aquired
the car I tested the fans to see if they worked by shorting pins 1 and 3 on the plug to the
thermal sensor,which worked fine(albeit full speed).
I shall try and figure out the wiring diagram as you say.I'll keep you posted.
Cheers Steviewonder
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks Clogzz,
That will help a lot.
Its great to see other members being so helpful to us lesser mortals.
Thanks again :)
Clogzz
My Cars:

Post by Clogzz »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by steviewonder7</i>

us lesser mortals
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">Don't say that [:D] I'm no rocket scientist.
I've had to work it out along the way, out of necessity, and it's always paid off.
Have a good fiddle, and it will give you confidence in yourself and in your car.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=16335