BX Engine Swap

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beemernut
My Cars:

BX Engine Swap

Post by beemernut »

The BX turbo diesel estate we own is awaiting it's final visit to a scrappies. I am therefore thinking about stripping as many parts as I can from the car including the engine. Can this be "simply" swapped for a non turbo engine, should the need ever arise? Would I need to change any wiring looms or would the original be suitable? Also the turbo has electric windows at the back, would the original set of looms have the connections for supplying the electric windows or would I need to remove the looms as well. I realise that I will need to keep the exhaust as this is a larger diameter than that on the non turbo. Any basic information would be appreciated at the moment so I can gear myself up for this. When I get round to stripping the car in a few weeks time I may have some further questions.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

This is simple enough. You'll need the turbo downpipe, driveshafts, bonnet and the entire cooling system together with the heater pipes, as well as the air piping to and from the air filter box . Doors don't carry extra wiring on lower spec models
jonnydrumm1967
My Cars:

Post by jonnydrumm1967 »

Take the gearbox as well if you want the long legged gearing of the TD. 25.9MPH/1000RPM in fifth for the turbo variants.I did this swap earlier this year on a 405,the turbo box was u/s so I used the non-turbo box. Wow! did it go![:D] Golf TDI's were dispatched with a look of disdain. Not much top end but I don't use motorways much. A and B roads are a blast though![^] Where my loaded 405 estate struggled before, it now pulls through, usually in a gear higher.Recommended.This was with a 1769cc turbo intercooled engine, the best XUD variant overall.