Hard hydractive soften by new battery.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Rostami</i>

Hi to all,
Getting back to the battery issue if you allow me...
I do not believe that the replacement of the battery alone can make any difference. If the old battery was able to start the engine, as suggested here by JohnT, it can for sure energize a solenoid. Also keep in mind that the solenoid was made for auto application, hence it will energize at as low voltages as 11V or even lower.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
In fact according to the HA2 service manual the computer will cease to operate below 11 volts.
The other thing you forget is voltage drop issues - the wiring in the Xantia is relatively poor, and if the HA2 computer shares the same wiring as some other devices it may get voltage significantly lower than the battery itself.
For example when I was measuring the voltage that runs the "Sport mode" light in the switch in the centre console I was horrified to find that with the engine running (and 14.1v at the battery terminals) that there was only 12.1v available (from the HA2 computer!) to run the light with the interior fan OFF, and only 9.8v with the interior fan on full speed!!
Come to think of it... if the interior fans are causing that much voltage drop at the HA2 computer could very well be the source of my intermitant harsh ride [}:)] Perhaps above a certain fan speed the voltage at the computer is dropping low enough for it to stop functioning...
Does anyone know of an online electrical wiring diagram for the Xantia ?
Regards,
Simon
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Simon,
With the voltage drop occuring when the fan is operated, it may well be pointing to the ignition switch being on the way out as the fan is fed via the ignition.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Simon, I take it you have a copy of the HA computer wiring diagram?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

Simon,
With the voltage drop occuring when the fan is operated, it may well be pointing to the ignition switch being on the way out as the fan is fed via the ignition.
Possibly, however if 15 amp fans are running directly via the ignition switch theres going to be a voltage drop even when the switch was new.... I'm planning to do the relay modification so the blowers run via a relay as I think its just partly bad design...
By the way, the Hydractive computer doesn't get its main source of power via the ignition switch - it gets it directly from the fuse box, as it needs to power up the solenoids when a door is opened regardless of the key being on.
And yet the voltage coming FROM the Hydractive computer to the switch light is definately dropping about 2v when the blowers are turned on full which means either a high resistance earth connection or the voltage getting to the Hydractive computer is dropping, which means the main source of voltage drop is actually further upstream than the ignition switch...
My kingdom for a physical wiring diagram... [:D]
Regards,
Simon
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

Simon, I take it you have a copy of the HA computer wiring diagram?
Yes, I have a nice bound printout of the Hydractive 2 training manual recently posted here... very useful. What I could really do with though is a physical wiring diagram of the power feeds of the car in general to save hours of tracing wires in the engine bay and behind the dash etc...
Regards,
Simon
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I mean this FRENCH one

Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

I mean this FRENCH one
Err nope... don't have that one...
Do you have a larger copy thats actually readable ? [:)]
Regards,
Simon
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I'll email it to you Simon
stewart_c
My Cars:

Post by stewart_c »

HI all
I have a 1.9 tdsx and I have a similar problem although,( am I correct in thinking that hydractive is a switchable suspension setting ? )the independant citroen garage I use told me that there was nothing wrong with the spheres as the rise from startup & the bounce test seemed to be ok but the rubber cushions under the back "axel" on either side were detached and so were replaced.
The ride before the change was that hard that if the suspension was of a normal type ie:- shocks & springs, I would have said that the car was bottoming on the springs.
The ride whilst still hard does now not "bottom" however I am interested in the eventual outcome as has been previously stated it is expensive to find out the ride quality is no different.
203000 miles and starting to do my head in again [V]
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by stewart_c</i>

HI all
I have a 1.9 tdsx and I have a similar problem although,( am I correct in thinking that hydractive is a switchable suspension setting ? )the independant citroen garage I use told me that there was nothing wrong with the spheres as the rise from startup & the bounce test seemed to be ok but the rubber cushions under the back "axel" on either side were detached and so were replaced.
If it's an SX it won't have Hydractive, so it would probably be a good idea to start a new thread and describe the symptoms (in as much detail as possible) and what steps have already been taken to try and fix it, and you'll get more pairs of eyes reading the thread than tacking it onto the end of this existing one.
One positive thing is that the standard Hydropneumatic version of the suspension is MUCH simpler and easier to diagnose than Hydractive and has less to go wrong, so its likely that someone will be able to pinpoint your problem...
Regards,
Simon
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

Simon, have regassed all spheres, including the hydractive ones. Haven't done much since change of new battery. Still have intermittent bouts of hard and soft suspension. Have always ride with hydractive off. Yesterday, went for a hilly drive, set the hydractive on, took some hard cornering. Today seems the drive is quite soft and stayed soft. Don't know how long that'll last. Maybe need hydraflush again.
Xantia 1.9TD 1996