Coil packs and ZX's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

citroenzx
My Cars:

Coil packs and ZX's

Post by citroenzx »

Well i'm not expecting people to remember but a while ago i put up a thread about my car misbehaving.
It would on occasion seem to "misfire" on its initail acceleration after been left for a while causing the car to feel like it was been driven through a large puddle.
I've also noticed that a few other people seem to be having the same/similar problem, so you'll be pleased to know that i've cracked it!
I eventually concluded after a load of messing about with injectors, filters, pumps and such that it was an electrical problem, so replaced the leads and plugs and still had the problem. I then heard that the coil packs degrade after 80,000, loathed to spen £50 to try somthing that might not work i ignored it. But the other day i managed to get another coil pack for £10 so i put it on and hey presto it sorted it.
So for all you people who have this problem, here you go!!
Also i have a question, why is a coil pack used instead of a distributor if they degrade and cost a fair chunk of money to replace?
Cheers
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

you know what manufacturers are like.they always say.fewer moving parts,so no adjustments needed etc etc.
its just abit harder to diagnose faults and more expensive for the parts for us hard working guys[:)]
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

thats worth noting
*makes note*
my ZX used to do that before I fitted the new engine.
citroenzx
My Cars:

Post by citroenzx »

well indeedy, i didn't really fancy going to that extreme!
i also suppose that if things are harder to diagnose they stand a chance of getting some cash for doing it for you!