ciroen ax diesal speedo stopped workin

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matthell

ciroen ax diesal speedo stopped workin

Post by matthell »

Hey
I need serious help with my citroen ax ... its a diesal J reg and I really am frustrated at it ....
Took it in to garage as my battery went unexpectantly dead for no apparent reason - battery was new (3 months) and the alternator too (3 months) ... garage said it was the fan belt .. they replaced that then said that the alternater was only supplying 9v instead of 12v. They linked this to the instrument panel and said they did lots of rewiring and reconfiguring to the instrument panel but said that I would prob need a new panel and that they werent responsible if the speedo or anything else was wrong ...got in car speedo wasnt working tho everything else fine they said it would need a new panel (£265 new!!) Anyway got home with it as i aint payin that amount for a new one. Decided to check out their 'work' found that speedo was disconnected from back of instrument panel (idiots!) but when reconnected speedo still didnt work.
Firstly is this garage trying to take me for a ride or do i simply need a new panel?
Second should I claim of the garage for them knackering my speedo which was working fine before hand?
Third any ideas how to get my speedo working without changing the instrument panel / if not any good breakers yards i should visit in bradford / halifax / huddersfield areas
You will have to forgive my ignorance as i aint got the greatest knowledge about cars but thank you in advance for replies!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Firstly disconnect the speedo cable from the back of the speedo head and see if the inner cable is turning when the car is moved. If its not then investigate the cable and find out why. If it is, remove the head and see if when you turn the inner drive socket the needle flicks.
Generally if the speedo fails the needle sticks, vibrates (generally cable) or swings slowly. A completely dead needle is not a usual failure.
If the cable is turning its probably worth having another go at fitting it to the head as it may be that first time the cable didn't fit in the socket in the head properly.
Jeremy
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

when you refitted the cable did it click into place,because if it didnt then the garage probably snapt the fitting on the end of cable,anyway i dont know why they removed the instrument panel in the first place,as this would not be the normal thing to do with a charging fault,also why would they say if the speedo or anything else dont work that its not there fault if they where not guilty and knew they had damaged somthing
regards malcolm