C5 Calipers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tonyjoc
My Cars:

C5 Calipers

Post by tonyjoc »

Hi, New to this but need help. Got a C5 2.2HDI and removed front pads. Problem is, how do I retract the piston? There seems to be a 5 sided bolt in the calliper, where do I get a socket to fit? and is that the key to pushing/twisting the piston back. Also got a very sqeaky rear axle/radius arm, has anyone else experienced same? Any help would be appreciated
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Looks like you're not the first with the brake problem!http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=15866
Jeremy
tonyjoc
My Cars:

Post by tonyjoc »

Thanks, I read the replies and have the tool I used on my xantias but as soon as I try to wind the piston clockwise the handbrake arm locks solid. The piston is free to turn anti clockwise ie . out
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im not sure of C5s but the only 5 sided bolts i have encounterd is where the mounting frame ataches to the calipper on a BX,i also thought hand brake is on the rear so dont you just lever the fronts back
regards malcolm
tonyjoc
My Cars:

Post by tonyjoc »

Handbrake is definately on the front, bolt is not uniform, obviously designed for special socket only. The piston has holes to use tool to retract by turning but no go..........
Tony
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

The five sided bolts to which you refer sounds like the T55 Torx bolts which hold the caliper cradle. They don't need to be removed if you're just doing a pad change.
As to why the handbrake arm locks solid, that's not one I've come across before. Are both calipers similarly afflicted???
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

im sure someone on here was saying one side of the car the piston is left hand thread on the C5s
regards malcolm
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

OOer missus, could have been me....but yes the pistons DO turn in opposite directions to retract.
First law of mechanics, if turning it one way doesn't do the trick, try turning it the other way [:D]
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Yes, it was me who found out the hard way when it came out so much I couldn't even put the worn pads back!
Offside needs to be wound back anticlockwise, nearside clockwise.
tonyjoc
My Cars:

Post by tonyjoc »

Sounds good to me, I'm away this weekend but will report back Monday - Thanks to everyone
Tony
tonyjoc
My Cars:

Post by tonyjoc »

Success, Tried again to wind the piston in but it was locked solid so wound it out about 3 turns then back in - so simple! I think there must be some kind of cam inside which the handbrake operates on and assume this must have been locking the thread someway. All ok and the nearside wound back in without any trouble.
Thanks for all your advice guys - Tony
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

No problem