LHM: too much or not enough

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

meeper
My Cars:

LHM: too much or not enough

Post by meeper »

Can any one help me out with a question on the LHM level indicator please?
With the car in the high position, the "little orange cone" should be in between the two red lines on the viewing dome on the LHM tank.
If the orange cone doesn't come down to be between the two lines is this a sign of too much or too little LHM? I assume the cone being below the lines the sign of the opposite case.
Is too much LHM likely to cause a problem? (Other than a green puddle on top of the LHM tank, my car has always had one of these.)
Cheers,
Mark.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Probably a sign its stuck (they do that) - Dont worry - if you over fill an LHM tank it will run out through the overflow pipe if its a Xantia - and just bubble out the top if its a BX!
A lot of people use sight or their finger to test the level.
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

So is the float stciking a reason why the STOP lamps on my BX flash when I am thrashing it round left land corners? the steering doesnt go heavy, so I assume it's the float
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

No thats something altogether different Rob... Oilyspanner had this problem (though I think it was right handers with him that caused the lamp to flash) several replacment pumps later and I think its now cured. have a look on www.bxclub.co.uk
On the other hand... when did you last check the engine oil?
meeper
My Cars:

Post by meeper »

Thanks for that. I have been keeping an eye on it by sight, but had never looked in the tank before so I don't know what it should look like!
Other than the gauge probably being stuck, anyone know which way around it works when it's not stuck?
I'll try and free it tonight.
Mark.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by meeper</i>

Thanks for that. I have been keeping an eye on it by sight, but had never looked in the tank before so I don't know what it should look like!
Other than the gauge probably being stuck, anyone know which way around it works when it's not stuck?
I'll try and free it tonight.
Mark.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Which way around ? Well since the guage is simply a float that floats in the oil, then too high means too high, too low means too low, as simple as that [:D]
By the way, its highly unlikely that it is "stuck". Having just had the tank in my Xantia out and everything in it out to clean the filters and replace the LHM etc, there really is nothing that can go wrong with the float to make it "stick" so I think this is a bit of an urban myth that they jam. (On all the Citroen's I've seen of various models I've never seen a jammed LHM guage yet)
By the way, if yours is a Xantia, (and possibly other models) the float guage can be removed very easily - simply remove the LHM filler cap, disconnect the wires from the side of the guage, and grasping the bit that sticks out to the side over the wire terminals, turn it anti-clockwise to unlock it, then lift it vertically out. A bit of jiggling and turning it to the right angle will get it out completely.
Once you get it out you'll see how simple it is and find that there is probably nothing wrong with it.
The float level reading really should be an FAQ on this forum as it seems to stump a lot of people - the float is calibrated to read the MINIMUM operating oil level not the maximum.
Minimum oil level occurs when the suspension is fully up with the engine running. In this condition when the guage is reading between the two lines there is very little oil in the tank and this is normal. (Tank approx 20% full)
At any other suspension setting - normal or low, the oil level will be a lot higher, and the float will be pegged to the top all the time, giving people the false impression that it is "stuck".
Regards,
Simon
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mandrake</i>

By the way, its highly unlikely that it is "stuck". Having just had the tank in my Xantia out and everything in it out to clean the filters and replace the LHM etc, there really is nothing that can go wrong with the float to make it "stick" so I think this is a bit of an urban myth that they jam. (On all the Citroen's I've seen of various models I've never seen a jammed LHM guage yet)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Come to mine then and I will show you one in a 2000 Xantia - definatly stuck and has been since I bought the car. Buggered about with it and it still sticks. Never worried about it as its easy to see if the tank is full/empty.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

all the years i have worked at cit garages this so called stuck float sindrum has been mentioned numerous times but i have never seen one stuck,and knowing how they work i cant see how they could,if you rotate the base where the wires plug in about a thired of a turn you can remove the plastic dome with the float from the tank,and you will see it just rises and falls in a smooth plastic tube
regards malcolm