HELP!! Bonnet catch jammed **OPENED**

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

HELP!! Bonnet catch jammed **OPENED**

Post by bernie »

N/S bonnet catch will not release the hook on my Xantia.
The other O/S catch has released and is in the second safety position.
I can just see the catch above the headlight. I can see the part of the catch round the bonnet hook but it will not move when pushed.
Can the S11 grille be removed without access to the back of it?
Any solutions apart from a tin opener[:o)]
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

its ok Bernie, these later cits are so reliable you probably wont need to open the bonnet for a couple of years yet[:o)]
Stewart
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Stewart I needed that[:o)][:o)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Bad news Bernie - its surgery to the grill time (if you want to open it) and it aint gonna live.
Have you still goy the belly tray on? Can you get soething up inside teh engine bay otherwise to release the second catch. Often wondered myself anout the need for two and whether to disconnect mine....
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Have you still goy the belly tray on? Can you get soething up inside teh engine bay otherwise to release the second catch.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've already tried that, the problem is then the front HDI engine cover is in the way.[xx(]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Can anyone with a S11 Xantia tell me how the grille panel is attached?
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

If you put yor hand in the bottom slats at each end you will feel a clip at the bottom of the grill and at the top a 10mm nut. The bottom just unclips but how to get to the nut's is anyones guess but have a fumble and you will be able to feel them.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Thanks Alec, is that a 10mm nut at both ends?
Do you think, if I get the grille out, that I can get to the catch?
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Is the Xantia catch the same as a BX one?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

Can anyone with a S11 Xantia tell me how the grille panel is attached?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I think the catch is the same design as the BX one, in that if you can pull the cable taught you will be able to relase the catch - the two 10mm nuts Alec mentions are accessible with the bonnet <i>open</i> - which is why I feel your grill has got to die....
Somebody else once had this same problem - have a search through the threads because Im not sure how they got round it other than hacking the plasctic grill to bits. You may be pleased to know S1 Xantia owners dont have this problem.
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... nnet,catch
If you are refering to this thread Bernie, its the cable leading to the catch which has gone FUBAR and preventing this one going to the saftey position (which is why you need to get underneath and hook a long pice of stiff wire onto the release pull of the catch - but in this case you cant and the only way in is through the grill). I used an old nylon strap off one of the wifes brownie bags on my old ZX when the plastic bonnet release clip (from saftey) broke - lasted for the life of the car.
Does anyone know why the Xantia has 2 catches and if they are both <i>really </i>necessary?
TOP TIP - To save expensive repair bills run your series 2 Xantia into a lamp post and claim on the insurance for a new front end.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Anyone with the facelift Xantia and a camera?
Please take pictures of where the 2 cables meet behind the n/s headlamp and relationship of other bits.
Thanks
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Bernie - if I get chance will post some about 6 ish.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Your a hero, Marty
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, The bonnet locks for the Xantia mk1 part number is 7934 46 the cost price on PR-Net for the part is £5.14 + VAT.
The bonnet lock for a mk11 Xantia is part number 7934 46, yes its the same part.
The control cable is part number 96103782 and cost price is £7.45 + VAT.
You may be able to get to the cable using a wire coat hanger that has been shaped to fit through the gap. A friend of mine had the same problem and got his bonnet open on his Xantia II that way.
Pail
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... C01567.jpg
This type of Front end Bernie?
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... C01564.jpg
10MM nut under cover (top) and hex screw bottom- same on other side is what you neet to remove in order to free the catch and replace the cable. Sadly only accesible with the bonnet open.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ ... C01566.jpg
The cable - the only bit where its accesible in the engine bay, right by the NS lamp.
Good luck.