BX Pedal Box issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adamskibx
My Cars:

BX Pedal Box issues

Post by adamskibx »

Hello. Ive just changed the pedal box on my BX due to metal fatigue around clutch and accelerator pedal area which was causing a spongy clutch action and limiting accelerator cable movement. Thing is, the new one works great and has improved things dramatically but the left side top bolt with an allen key head has stripped the thread. Was wondering if anyone knows what this thread is in- ie is it replacable? Cheers, Adam
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

i had one years ago that did this.what i did was drill through the bolt hole and then through the next metal skin aswell.this you would be able to see through the windscreen/scuttle panel.then i drilled the hole in the scuttle larger enabling me to use a nut and bolt on the pedal box.finally i sealed the hole it the scuttle with a rubber grommet.I know this sounds abit drastic but it did the job.
some of the other lads on her will know of other good fixes aswell[:)]
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Cheers for that- I might try that- As the other side bolt is OK I was thinking that a less drastic option would be to drive in a slightly larger bolt to make its own thread- Worse thing that could happen I suppose is it would widen the hole so I could use the method you describe. What I wasnt sure of was whether the thread was replacable-ie like a captive nut type system.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i think they are M6 or M7 bolts are they not,and it will probably be a welded nut because its in a box section,have you removed the problem bolt to see if its just the bolt thread damaged,you never know you may be lucky
regards malcolm
adamskibx
My Cars:

Post by adamskibx »

Unfortunately it wasnt the bolt-think what caused it was that the pedal box didnt line up too well and the hole was slightly off center so an initial cross threading ocured- changed to the other bolt eventually and just tightened it-it was an effort to get it but I just assumed it was rubbing on the hole where it goes through the pedal box-then, at the end, it got easy and thats when I knew it had threaded. The right side one is still as it was and the brake valve ones are OK too so its just the clutch that could cause issues really. I think a slightly wider short bolt that grips will do actually as I can get away with pressing the brake and clutch as hard as I can with no movement at the missing bolt.