4HP14 Transmission on a 1.8i Xantia Citroen

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

sferguson98

4HP14 Transmission on a 1.8i Xantia Citroen

Post by sferguson98 »

The transmission is this Xantia just stopped working in all forward gears immediately after climbing a very step hill. What's up? What blew out? It's 95 Citroen Xantia but the same xmission is used on a lot of different brands, Puegot for example.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sferguson98</i>

The transmission is this Xantia just stopped working in all forward gears immediately after climbing a very step hill. What's up? What blew out? It's 95 Citroen Xantia but the same xmission is used on a lot of different brands, Puegot for example.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Impossible to tell without a bit more info...like what mileage has it done ? Is there any service history of when gearbox oil changes were made and even more importantly what TYPE of oil was put in in each change ?
See the following thread, and other posts by AlanS:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=16137
It seems there is a lot of confusion in the industry about what the right type of oil is for some of the BX/Xantia autos, and there is some suggestion that using Dexron III compatible oils may cause premature failure in as little as 120,000 to 150,000 Km.
Use the right oil and change it regularly on schedule, and these auto boxes seem to be pretty reliable and long lasting...
Might help if you describe the history of the car a bit more...
Regards,
Simon