HDi turbo power loss and fix

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulstow
My Cars:

HDi turbo power loss and fix

Post by paulstow »

For a while my '00 Xantia HDI (145K miles) has suffered from an occasional lack of power under acceleration, eg when applying power after a corner or roundabout. Lift and try again and it would usually be ok.
Recently the problem became more permanent. Interestingly, the engine management light only came on after a sustained period of wide open throttle and no engine response, and this was verified by resetting the codes and trying again. The codes indicated turbo control or crank position sensor. Once the light was on, the ECU seemed to limit engine speed to aroud 2800rpm.
I pulled the main vacuum hose to the control actuators, the one at the base of the T-piece at the rear left of the engine bay as you look into the engine, and by putting my finger over the end felt the vacuum was weak. Removing the elbow from the vacuum pump at the right hand end of the camshaft and doing the same test there showed plenty of vacuum there.
The problem turned out to be carbonised crud in the elbow, easily shifted with a thin piece of wire followed by some carb cleaner for good measure.
Now we have full power again and all is well - a good cheap fix, so I thought I would post this for future reference.
Cheers - Jez
Kered

Post by Kered »

Being an HDi owner I appreciate your time and trouble to keep us informed of this problem and its resolution.
Many thanks.