BX 1.7dt 5 speed Box BE? code- Oil filler? URGENT

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

pmhpmh

BX 1.7dt 5 speed Box BE? code- Oil filler? URGENT

Post by pmhpmh »

Having just completed the Octopus this afternoon I am left with topping up the gearbox to replace the approx 0.8 litre of gearbox oil I lost when taking the drive shaft out.
The Haynes picture is wrong for the gearbox and the supplement does not show an alternative.
Can anybody post a picture or link to a diagram for the filler location on this box please. I have a good look from under the car and can see or feel nothing. Access/view from the top is very restricted.
Urgent because I want to use the car tomorrow.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It should be on the end behind the n/s front wheel. It is sometimes difficult to differenciate the filler from the end plate bolts, but you should find that one is slightly bigger, at the bottom, toward the front. You will probably have to remove the inner wing cover/splashguard to get to it.
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Thanks for that I have just had a look It appears to be at 5.0clock from Lhs of car, does that make sense?
It appears to be only about 10mm above the bottom level of the gearbox, although the diff housing is lower. Is there a special technique to adding oil, like jacking up the lhs of the car??? since the total capacity is about 2l it looks very much like a drain plug!
It does not want to undo, 19mm is too loose, 18mm does not want to fit, I am loath to hammer on the socket because it appears to need a thin walled socket (my good 3/8 drive ones!) My 1/2 drive skts appear to have thick walls which foul the steel pressing lip. It is a very thin headed bolt and appears to have been butchered before.
Dont tell me Citroen have used a special size!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

It is a 19mm one but you need a socket with quite a thin wall as the cover curls up close to it.
Stewart
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

its easier to just unscrew the black plastic vent on top of gear box with a 17mm socket and pour gear oil in through that hol
regards malcolm
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

...or the reverse light switch (23 mm, I believe, the 2-wires thing) - but you have to remove the battery first.
pmhpmh

Post by pmhpmh »

Thanks for all your help.
When I get back i will post a message on doing the Octopus.
Not as scary as I thought it would be.
peter
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

If you do fill from above, you still have to remove the 19mm plug on the end of the box to be absolutely sure that you have the correct amount in the box. If it's over full, it will blow oil past the input shaft seal, and soak the clutch. Not good.
You do indeed have to grind a cheapo 19mm socket to do this. Best then to use a long extension, as it often goes with a "crack". The car needs to be level, and you must let oil dribble out of the filler until it stops.
Far better to slightly underfill this gearbox rather than over-fill it.