zx trailing arm removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

inferno
My Cars:

zx trailing arm removal

Post by inferno »

hi all my friends zx has failed its MOT on the trailing arm bearing do i need a sliding hammer to remove the arm.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have never replaced these but most people find a good second hand rear axel and swap the hold thing,as this is very easy
regards malcolm
inferno
My Cars:

Post by inferno »

i did suggest that at first but when i jacked the car up there wasnt any play in the arm.so i am hopeing that it hasnt damaged the beam.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

no thats not the reason for replacing the whole thing ,its just because its easier,also its not easy to feel the play as the tortion bars stop most of the movement,just look at the gap between the inside top of rear wheels and the car body
regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

What was the MOT fail point? Usually these still pass even when worn, as there isn't any play in the joint. Most MOT garages will only fail them once the wheel begins to rub on the inner arch.
The chances of the axle beam being OK are almost nil, as (this being the same as a 106/306/405 design I think) the needle roller bearings run directly on the axle, and wear grooves in it. A new bearing set will actually make the situation worse, as you will have had to clean all the rusty crud out of the bearing area, and now there will be noticeable play.