Xantia loosing power

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wrinklet1
My Cars:

Xantia loosing power

Post by wrinklet1 »

Hi, Any one got any ides about this one :-
My Xantia Td takes a while to fire up, as though the glow plugs aren't working. Turns over for about a minute then fires, runs okay for about a minute then loses power to almost cutting out (cut out once in fact as well). Starts again after turning over for a minute again the seems to run ok. I have tested the relay for the glow plugs and its ok. The glow plugs get power to them okay. But I don't think its the glow plugs at fault. I have checked the filter and thats clean (changed about a month ago)and no leaks. Had the car ticking over on another occasion and it was ok then it started to lose power, tried revving it but nothing, as though no fuel was getting through. I have put redex in the fuel tank, and half filled the fuel filter with redex and run it on high tickover for about 15 mins. Seems ok, but I think something else is the cause. Any ideas?
Perhaps air is getting into the fuel pipe but cant see where it is, all pipes are dry, and no sign of any cracks. I have also replced the two pipes that go to the fuel bulb and drain back to the tank )the ones that crack with age.
Paul.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does it have a fuel primer pump? if it does and its of the diaphragm type they can leak, If not that does it have a fuel heater? you will find it bolted to the n/s end of the cylinder head (follow the pipe from the pump) these go porous, just disconnect the pipes and join them together.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry! I missed the bit about the bulb
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

It has a fuel 'bulb', seems ok
Cant see the fuel heater though.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the fuel heater is in the bottom of the filter assembly.
If you have the Bosch pump have a look at the leakoff pipes (all of them and the end cap)as they can let air in if they are defective. Don't bother if its roto-diesel - they just leak and smell.
If all else fails replace the last fuel pipe to the pump with clear plastic and see if there are any bubbles. If not it might be the stop solenoid.
Incidentally what year is your car and has it got a mechanical or semi-electronic pump?
jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Its got a Bosch pump, 1993 Xantia Td Sx model
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think there have also been incidences of the primer itself becoming porous or suffering valve failure.
I think its air getting in somewhere and would suspect the leakoff pipes.
jeremy
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

I think it may be air getting into the system too. Saying that, I got into the car today and it started more or less straight away and there wasn't any loss of power or cutting out when I drove it.
Maybe, the redex and the petrol may have sorted the problem (touch wood).
Before starting the car this morning, I squeezed the fuel primer and it felt solid as it should do. Before, it felt sponge as though air was there.
Paul