95 Xantia 1.9TD - general advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Ciaran
My Cars:

95 Xantia 1.9TD - general advice

Post by Ciaran »

Hi,
I'm going to look at a 95 Xantia 1.9TD tomorrow. It has 150k on it, and I'm told it needs a new water pump.
Have already had some good advice from the guys on the XM list, however I was just wondering if anyone had any Xantia specific tips or advice, things to watch out for etc ?
Any input appreciated :)
Cheers.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Make sure that the suspension lifts smoothley, and that includes playing with the control lever next to the handbrake - (BUT DO NOT DRIVE THE CAR IN ANY OTHER MODE, MAKE SURE IT'S IN THE MIDDLE SETTING) without any noises or jerkeyness. Push every button and switch a dozen times, as electrics are the cars achillies heel. As for rust, the only rust trap I have found on the Xantia is on the N/S rear - lie on the floor, place your hand up between the bumper and the bodywork and feel for any rust. Check the carpets for wetness/damp as it can cause (more) problems for the cars electrics. Good luck, and hope it's what your looking for. Do tell us how you get on - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi Alex,
I used to have an XM, so am used to the usual suspension and electrical foibles etc :)
Cheers for the point about rust... I was noting the other day that I've never seen a rusty Xantia... however I guess there may be some hidden, as you've mentioned. Nearside is the driver's side isn't it ?
The waterpump issue is the only thing worrying me at the moment, I don't have too many details on that yet, other than 'Its not circulating the water correctly'. I may just trailer it, as I don't know if I want to risk a 17 mile journey with an engine that could cook / jam the belt.
I hear these engines don't take well to high temperatures ? The petrol Astra I have currently, commonly runs to over 103ish in traffic before the fan starts to do it's work, and it doesn't seem to bother it... whats an acceptable temp for the 1.9TD lump ?
Is this the same engine that BX's had, btw ?
Thanks for all your help :)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

At 150k the most likely problem would be the head gasket, not an easy job but a lot easier than on an XM, guess how I know. Check to see if pressure builds quickly in the header tank, look for evidence of water being blown out of the header tank cap and vent pipe. If the water is at the correct level, it shouldn't blow any out of the filler when hot if you undo the cap although there should be a little pressure there. Be very careful when removing the cap when hot.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you can get to look at it whilstits stone cold,first removeheader tank cap and get someone to cranck the engine and you whatch the water in the tank,if it irupts the car has most likly got head gasket/cracked head
regards malcolm
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Nearside is the side nearest the kerb (passenger side). On my Xantia the fan cuts in at about 85 - 88 deg. As the waterpump issue, if it was my car I would trailer it, rather risk the pump collapsing and leaving your new car knackred.....Did/are you buy(ing) it? P.S I've fitted a new rad to the Rover today (thought id mention it) [:)] - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hi guys,
Well, I took a risk and bought it. Managed to knock him down to 130... from the original price of 225... so at that kind of money its not too bad...
I didn't start it, because the water bottle was almost empty... having tricked away its contents through the outside of the water pump, which could clearly be seen dripping. That said, it turns over strongly, and ALL the electrics work, including the sunroof, which is nice.
No outward signs of headgasket failure, and have taken the seller on his word that he had that checked when the problems with the pump started.
Only real problems with it are a missing boot carpet, and the rear lights have done that fading thing... plus one of them is cracked, as is a front fog light. At this kind of money, its cheap motoring if it works out.
Will hopefully be getting it trailered up here next weekend, then can start work on changing the pump.
Cheers for all the advice, will no doubt be back in the coming weeks [:D]
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

£130 or €130? either way, it's cheap motoring.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

£130.
He originally wanted £225, but given the fact I was taking a chance by not checking out the engine, and the few other things, he eventually relented to 130 :)
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Nice one! I only paid £90 for my Xantia back in March (no t&t). When I got it home after a complete inspection I found just over 200 faults, but as of yesterday im now down to 7. Yipee! Just sort out the tatty bodywork now and it will be perfect. As most people who buy older Citroen's, do it for the love and not for profit (and I know that from experience) [;)] - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

200 ! [:0]
What was left actually working ? lol
This one has no test or tax either, but I don't envisage any major problems, he said it sailed through it's last one, and has hardly been used since..
Had 4 new speheres a few months ago just before it went off the road too.
I know what you mean about the reasons for buying them. Common sense, dictates that I should MOT my Astra and keep using it... but to hell with that :)
The only reason I went for this is I want another XM but really can't afford it at the minute :)