Engine interchange?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Engine interchange?

Post by alan s »

Got this from a member on an Aussie forum and as I don't have much of a clue on which engines go in which Pugs, thought I'd ask if anyone can answer it.
"Hi Alan,
My recently acquired 1800 xantia has piston slap.
would you know which motor slots in with minimum fuss?
at present have choice of N5 306 pug motor and BX.
thanks Colin"
I would suspect the BX engine might be unsuitable but couldn't answer as regards the Pug engine.
Anyone here who can shed some light?
Alan S
CITMAN
My Cars:

Post by CITMAN »

Are sure it would be worth changing the engine just because it has piston slap. My Laguna 1.8i which has had oil changes every 3000 miles and normal servicing suffers with piston slap. The tapping goes when the engine gets some heat into it. Only worry if it continues when the engines hot.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I'm working on second hand info here, but it seems this is an 8 valve import and the noise is apparently there when cold and if revs are increased gradually.
The owner reckons there was a Pug 306 of about the same vintage that had an engine with this problem that was recalled under warranty, but as this is an imported car, that's not likely to happen here.
I have asked the question whether they had either hydraulic tappets that might be clattering, or as this car had a head recon job just prior to the present owner buying it, do these have shimmed tappets and if so, is it likely to be them doing the slapping?
Alan S