zx 1.9d clutch pedal stuck down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

keljon

zx 1.9d clutch pedal stuck down

Post by keljon »

while parking my zx earlier the clutch pedal went to the floor and didn't return. The clutch is now engaged, i have tried pulling on the pivot arm but it didn't do any good. Any ideas what may have happened? as i have never come across this before
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Most likely the cable has snapped either end.
The clutch release arm in the clutch housing may have split - but this is the rare version of the problem.
keljon

Post by keljon »

surely if the cable had snapped then the clutch would not be engaged, at the moment i can start the car in gear as if my foot was on the pedal
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sounds like either the cable has partially snapped, and the loose ends have got stuck inside the outer and jammed it; or, the clutch itself has failed, and the release bearing is stuck in the splines, causing it to be disengaged. If the cable is at fault, then if you release the cable at the gearbox, the clutch should spring back. If you remove the cable and the clutch doesn't free itself, then it's gearbox off time. Getting the box off if the clutch is jammed might be interesting, mind....
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If the clutch is released as if your foot was down on pedal - it is NOT engaged as RichardW points out [:p]
The standard problem on a constant ENGAGED clutch is exactly the snapped cable option [8D]
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as the pedle is down and i presume the cable is still atached then i think it is as richardW said either cable is frayed and holding pedle down or somthing has jammed up in clutch housing,so firstly unhook cable from clutch operating arm at gear box end,now see if pedle will lift up by hand,if so see if arm on box will move back to engaged position,this wiil point you in the right directon
regards malcolm
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Could be the release bearing has chewed its way throught the presure plate spring, I've had that happen but it didn't leave the clutch disengaged, thats not to say it can't though, have you had to adjust the clutch recently.
If it was a TD I'd say the circlip holding the release bearing in place has gone AWOL.
Dave
keljon

Post by keljon »

not touched the clutch since i had the car and was working fine until i stopped and depressed pedal to reverse park, i have disconnected the cable from top of g/box and there is no problem with the cable, there seems to be a lot of play under the lever that the cable attaches to so i assume the bush is worn which may contribute to the problem.
I will try and have a look in the inspection cover on the front of the gearbox tommorrow and see if i can find the problem.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

only thing for it off with your box,even just if its only the bushes which i dout you still have to drop the box
regards malcolm