Windscreen Washers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Steeplejack

Windscreen Washers

Post by Steeplejack »

I have a K reg XM 3.0 V6 SEi and my windscreen washers (Front) have stopped working. Do you know if they have a relay fitted and if so, where is it located. All fuses are good. Thank you. Andy B
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

Same thing has happened to my 1996 XM 2.1 TD Exclusive. Rear still works but front is dead. I had put off looking at it as I didn't want to take out the washer tank.
regards
sean
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Can you still hear the pump? Split hose? Smell of screenwash?
Steeplejack

Post by Steeplejack »

No sound from pump as far as I can hear, but wipers are a bit noisy. I do not want to remove the pump and hoped the washers had a relay that was faulty but not sure if they have. Tank is full and no leaks. I noticed that when I operate the washers, the clock dims. Bad earth? Faulty pump? Any ideas welcome.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Sounds like a siezed pump to me. Can you check for voltage applied at the pump connector?
It makes things much easier if you unplug the wiper motor while trying to sort out washer faults.
Steeplejack

Post by Steeplejack »

Thank you for the replies. A good idea to unplug wiper motor but getting to that could be more of a problem than taking the washer tank out although I have not looked yet.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

It surely must be possible to jump a positive lead across to the pump without removing it?
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Do you know where the pump is located? I think it is in the front nearside wing. If the rear washers are working, swap the washer tubes round on the pump, then try washing the rear, if water comes out of the front jets you will know that the tubes are clear, if not they may be blocked or that the tube may be kinked and stopping the water flow. Then try using the the front washers, if water comes out of the rear jet, then you will know that the pump is ok.
Paul
Steeplejack

Post by Steeplejack »

Got into mechanic mode and took out the washer bottle. Two pumps are fitted. One for front and one for back. Tested both pumps and found the front pump not working. New pump bought today (£14.69) and I will fit it tomorrow. Why could it not have been a wire off or a bad earth under the bonnet. I do like Citroens but I am unable to understand why they fitted these pumps in such a stupid position?