Front Brake Discs & Pads Xantia 1.8

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikep
My Cars:

Front Brake Discs & Pads Xantia 1.8

Post by mikep »

I have been offered a set of Brake Discs and Pads which are clones and of course much cheaper (£50),is there any reason why I should not have these fitted ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Does a set mean front or rear or both?
All really depends who makes it. Some original equipment manufacturers also sell to the parts trade under their own name.
jeremy
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I have the same car Mike and have always used clones and I fitted girling/lucas disks a couple of years ago. Neither those nor the cloned pads have ever caused me any problems but of course I don't know what clones you have.
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

They are front only Jeremy.The present ones are perfectly ok accept they squeal particularly in hot weather. The garage said wear has caused a 'groove' on the discs. I am driving down to Malaga next week
and the squealing gets really bad in Spain.
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Thanks Kafkaian, they are on offer on e-bay (4574327591)with part numbers FBD006 and FBD3015.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

Okay so £48 with postage sounds okay but having done a search I can't find the clone manufacturer on those numbers. The thing is, if you're satisfied the seller operates as a bone fide business, can be traced and has a good rating then you might find a transaction comfortable. Personally, I buy off ebay but not safety critical things.
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Well you have clearly looked at the item on e-bay, they have a 100% feedback on 2904 sales.
and have a shop called Carbitz, what further question should I ask ? perhaps the manufacturer ?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I should think the same things are available for the same price or less at GSF - have a look at their on-line shop for prices etc. (or catalogue)
HOME at the top to get there
Jeremy
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Ok I will try them, they have a branch near me.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by mikep</i>

Ok I will try them, they have a branch near me.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
And GSF are pretty good to be honest. Never had a problem and are generally always polite, accurate and efficient.
The ebay company don't appear to be VAT registered (without prejudice) from what I can see. Although no company is required to be VAT registered below a Customs and Excise turnover threshold, that might be another indicator for you.
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The part numbers quoted look like Ferodo, a very good UK after-market parts manufacturer, well known for racing and rally parts. The original parts were made by Bendix.
The only point about buying critical components from any source is the guarantee. What happens if the item is faulty or fails? Do you have any redress? At least from a bona-fide trader, you have recourse to the Trade Descriptions Act, not so at an auction, whether it is Ebay or otherwise.
How much do you value your own safety, just to save a few pounds?
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

Well it is not just a few pounds is it ? but I take your point about safety.
I have decided Spain will have to put up with my squealing brakes !
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Ferodo have been making brake parts in England for many years - the company having been started by Mr Frood! By many years I mean pushing 100 and have been and probably still are used by many OE equipment manufacturers.
From a quick look at the online shop the bits you want add up to £49 + VAT (£8.57) and I think this entitles you youn free postage (over £50 but didn't look if Vat came into this.) Of course you won't pay postage at one of the GSF shops.
Jeremy
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

I think I will try GSF when I get back, although someone said to me
Citroen parts and labour are much cheaper in France, and as I have to go through France, will test this theory.
MikeP
mikep
My Cars:

Post by mikep »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

I should think the same things are available for the same price or less at GSF - have a look at their on-line shop for prices etc. (or catalogue)
HOME at the top to get there
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">