More Xantia Electrical gremlins

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

More Xantia Electrical gremlins

Post by rory_perrett »

Are these likely to be connected in several senses of the word.
1998 Series 2 Xantia 2.1TD
Heated rear window and heated mirrors not working, heated rear window dash warning light not on. Relay heard clicking when heated rear window switch pressed.
Also, cigarette lighter and auxiliary 12V supply socket not working.
Looking at the Haynes manual suggest that the heated rear window and mirrors and the cigarette lighter do not operate on the same circuit. No mention of where the power for the auxiliary socket comes from.
Fuses under the dash related to heated rear window and cigarette lighter appear to be OK.
Before I dive in with the multimeter this weekend, does anyone know where the heated rear window relay is located and do people think I just happen to have 2 faults or just the one?
Thanks in advance
Rory
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

More likely to be two causes than one, I'd have thought. I've blown my cigar lighter (auxiliary socket) fuse many times just by plugging my phone charger into it - it seems to be especially vulnerable to getting short-circuited if you don't push the thing into the socket absolutely straight. I've also found that when the cigar lighter goes off, so does the light in the glove compartment. I'd have another good look at those fuses if I were you, because I've seen fuses that look absolutely fine but don't in fact pass the current.
I wouldn't think it was a problem on the ignition switch, because the cigar lighter works at any time whereas the ignition needs to be on for the heated window to work. (1995 1.8 16v.) But it occurs to me that both the hrw and the cigar socket need to pull a fair few amps. Could it be something as simple as an earthing fault?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does the radio work? its usually fed from the same supply as the lighter.
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

Don´t forget to check the ground connections...
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks for the input guys.
Just been out to the carpark.
Radio works. Glove box light works. New discovery, hazard flashers don't work.
Regards
Rory
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Thanks for the input guys.
Just been out to the carpark.
Radio works. Glove box light works. New discovery, hazard flashers don't work.
Regards
Rory
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I like my Xantia in almost every respect, but I don't expect (in what was advertised as an executive car) electrics to fail as they invariably have [:(!]
The fan heater is the worst IMHO, whilst I have experienced lots of electrical niggles. The abs sensor design is crud also. The way they keep failing is criminal.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Interesting to hear your ABS sensors fail regularily on a 1998 car. This does not seem to be a general experience so I start wondering about installation or other problems - or indeed if they were faulty in the first place.
Jeremy
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

Interesting to hear your ABS sensors fail regularily on a 1998 car. This does not seem to be a general experience so I start wondering about installation or other problems - or indeed if they were faulty in the first place.
Jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've had 4, 2 on each side [:(!] Mine's a 1997
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Mine's 98: no problem with ABS sensors at all yet (crosses fingers)[:)][:)]
rory_perrett

Post by rory_perrett »

Update on the non working heated rear window, cigarette lighter/ auxilary socket and hazard flashers.
I now conclude that these must all have the a common 12V feed. By bridging 12v direct from the battery to the fuse box with a flying lead these items all work.
All the big "you must go to Citroen if they blow" fuses under the bonnet are OK so now its a case of follow the wires.
Does anyone know how to get to the back of the fuse box in the passenger compartment, it looks like it could unclip and drop down but I haven't work out how.
Regards
Rory
Muzz
My Cars:

Post by Muzz »

Sorry wrong thread! :oops: