Engine Swap pug 306 into ZX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

Engine Swap pug 306 into ZX

Post by rashmore »

Current 1.9 td has thrown a piston ring, hence easier (and half the cost of rebore/headwork) to swap whole engine. Have found a pug xud9te in local scrapper.
Problem is that it has a keypad immobilsed pump - but keypad has been knackered by some numpty.
Anyone know how to programme the pump ? seeing as my zx not got immobilsed pump. Or try and source a keypad ? must be some way round it....
Need to get sorted ASAP as driving round in (borrowed) Sport Ka [:I] for last month or so. Need my trusty zx back asap
TIA
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

As I understand it, you can de-program a keypad immobilised pump by starting the engine and whilst its running unplugging the keypad but obviously you'll need the original keypad and code to do this.
If the injection pump on your old engine is fine, why not just swap it over to the "new" engine?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree with Kowalski - simply use the lump and forget the electronic bits.
Jeremy
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Apparently they have got the code, hence idea of sourcing another keypad. Thought this may be easier than swapping pumps - having said that, my wiring loom prob not got electricery connections anyway....would have to cobble something together
Is the keypad matched/paired to the pump or would any do from cit/pug ?
Pump would need setting up to suit 'new' engine once swapped - mine adjusted, along with boost on 'old' engine.....assume have to do this regardless.
cheers
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Does a '95 have electronic management? if not, its just a question of connecting the stop solonoid to to a live ignition switch output. If it does have a management computer I think the immobiliser operates that, rather than the pump. - Unless someone knows different.
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Id just swap the pump, is a very very easy job to do and will save hassle.
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

Swap the pump
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Swap the pump, line it up on the dirty mark left by the old one, you should be close, if the engine runs badly move the pump a little on the slotted holes, trial and error or get a DTI
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

as peter.N said why not just disconect imob and fit engine loom from old engine,this would be far easyer than geting into swaping pumps,if you get this engine it would pay to fit a new cam belt with engine on the floor
regards malcolm
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

And with the engine out, and the cambelt off, a pump change is under 10 minutes work. My money would be on changing the pump for one that you know. To time the pump properly needs a cheapo DTI (£10 from ebay) and about another 10 minutes work. Far better to rely on a fully mechanical pump rather than the risk of the imobiliser engaging when the battery goes flat at some point in the future.
rashmore

Post by rashmore »

Apparently not long since had cam belt, glow plugs and i think water pump. Would change belt & w. pump as a matter of course seeing as access is easy when on pallet.
Think will look at using pump that already there now know can get round immobilisor- that way i know i can get it up and running and know engine not a duffer - can alway swap pump in future (if a little harder to do in stu...)
Cheers