xsara hdi 90

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

My Cars:

xsara hdi 90

Post by 1939 »

hi all i wonder if some one could help me please i have a xsara 2001 hdi 90 eng whitch is the best oil for this engine for the 12500 miles thanks a lot [:D]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Citroen recomend Total Quartz 7000 semi synthetic - having used this myself at 44K miles I am not sure if its a little thin for the engine, certainly the noise level increased once I switched from the Turbo Diesel muck the supplying dealer had put in (some cheap stuff).
Im waiting to see what Millers suggest as an altenative - In fact if you are near Preston, I have about 2 gallons of the stuff (Quartz) going begging.
Use a Purflux oil filter too, not a Mann one
Rostami
My Cars:

Post by Rostami »

I have always used Total Quartz 9000 fully synthetic and the results are great. It has 12kmile changing intervals oils and respective filter).
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

I've always used Millers XFE semi synthetic, both in the XUD and HDi engines without any problems.
I do change it at 6000 mile intervals in the HDi though, I have a sneaking feeling that 12500 mile changes are more for the benefit of fleet managers than the engine [:0]
My Cars:

Post by 1939 »

thanks maryhopkirk and also rostami and sir clive for imfo thanks a lot [:)]
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

Yes if you use semi synthetic the you should change it more often, but if you use fully synthetic then it will retain its properties for much longer than 12000 miles
ubg43
My Cars:

Post by ubg43 »

checkout the following url.
I have been using the Mobil synthetic in Australia for the last five years and 80000km with brilliant results.
http://www.mobil.com/UK-English/Lubes/P ... _5W-30.asp
Cheers.
Ashley Groome.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Use a Purflux oil filter too, not a Mann one
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
If your local factors supply Motaquip oil filters (as many do) a VFL 427 is actually a branded purflux filter. Don't be fobbed off with a VFL 208, which is dimensionally identical, but is the basic Mann filter.
As to oil, I have always found that basic 15w/40 mineral oil is just fine, if changed every 5k miles. It works out cheaper for me to do this too, as I buy oil by the drum for about 80p/litre, which means a whole sump full is only £4. Changing the oil more regularly like this means that you tend to clear out all the soot and acids that build up. No matter how good a synthetic oil is, soot and acid will still build up in the oil, and cause damage.