Central Locking

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

j_roc

Central Locking

Post by j_roc »

Evening to all. I was hoping that somebody had the wiring diagram of the C/L setup on a 1993 Xantia sx. I have had a look and I could not find annything. The reason that I need it is this - when I bought the car it has had a door change (green door on a blue car) and instead of unclipping the multiplug from the C/L unit/door latch the t*t just cut through the wires that go through the gromit in the door, and of course the wires are all the same colour so you cant tell what wire goes where??? Please help, having no C/L or alarm is starting to worry me, even more so when I go to work at nights and leave the car un alarmed. Any help much app - Alex.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

If you found all the wires were same colour - how would a diagram help you then [;)]
Try surf this site :
http://citroeny.cz/servis/servis.htm
Then you should at least go by the wiring guide (with example shown) to know about the wiring system in your Xantia.
Earlier Citroens used a base wire colour with different coloured markers.
The Xantia uses few colours but alphanumeric coding printed on the wires.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

I was hoping for a pin to pin number system i.e - pin 9 to 9, 4 to 4, 6 to 6 etc, etc.....But in Citroen's "wisdom" they have 6 green wires 2 brown and 1 black (as I remember). There are pin numbers inside the multiplug in the drivers door, but none in the multiplug that goes into the control box under the console. The "dot on the wire" idea works great when the car is new, but 12 years later after all the chafing against the door card it's a different matter. Looks like im up sh*t alley then?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If yo have access to a multimeter you can check each lead by what it does. If all the doors except the one in question are closed, you shold have one wire that reads 12 volts to earth, connect the meter to that wire and open one of the other doors, interior light comes on, if the voltage has now dropped to zero, that is the 'door open/closed' switch.
Having marked that one, select the 'low ohms' range and check the remainder of the leads for resistance to earth, the one that gives least resistance will be EARTH.
Next check for voltage on leads when the rear window button is pressed, mark the window motor button.
Then check all leads again while you lock/unlock the doors, again check for the leads with voltage.
If it has red lights at the bottom of the doors, the lead will be live when the lights are on.....and so on.
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

PROBLEM SORTED!!![8D] [8D] [8D]. I now have central locking, although I still have four wires left to findout what they do??? The main thing is that I have C/L working.
My method to fixing it was this - Unplug the multiplug from the passenger door locking unit, then using the multimeter I traced the pins 1 - 9 back to the control unit multiplug's. Then one by one I noted them on a drawn plan of the multiplug's on the controll unit. Then I traced the wires from the control unit to the driver's door, then (refering back to my drawn diagram of the wiring setup) connected the correct wire to the correct pin number. If annyone is in the same boat as I was (with c/l wires cut) send me a email and I will gladly send you a copy of my plans (free of charge, of course). Thanks to all for your input - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

What a nightmare that sounds.
Do all Xants have the builtin alarm ? The SX I'm picking up tomorrow didn't appear to.
Speaking of which, do they support total closure... e.g automatic closing of the windows and roof when the alarm / central locking is activated ?
I achieved this pretty easily on my Astra by linking an earth wire to the alarm's ground output. I don't suppose anyone has done anything like this ?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Windows that close when you lock the door! I must have a look into that - I mean how cool [8D]. My Xantia has the standard alarm fitted. Somebody could have turned the siren off on yours (look at the rear of the engine bay on the N/S) under the little circle cover. And the headlight flasher relay could have been removed - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

Hmmm.... when I went to get the car, the red LED on the dash was flashing...
However, I had to disconnect the battery and put in another one, as it was too flat to start it. Since then, the red LED has not come on when I lock the doors. I didn't get a remote plip with the car, however, it does have the IR receiver in the ceiling. It also has what appear to be ultrasonics on the inside of the mirror housing.
Upon further examination, I found a disconnected brown multiplug behind the radio / above the driver's feet. I presume this may be for the alarm ECU ? Where does the ECU live ?
Cheers :)
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

The ECU for the alarm is under the front passenger seat, actually under the carpet. Last week I removed the seats and carpet to shampoo them and guess what I found - multiplugs under the drivers and passenger seat's not plugged into annything. I guess that they are for heated and/or electric seat's. One "gimmick" that I would really like is the infamous tipping N/S mirror - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

The tipping mirror is class, a few XMs have them.
I'm wondering now what the hell this unconnected multiplug is for.... everything on the dash is working, bar the alarm.
How is it activated ? Does it work off plip only, or will it activate by the key in the driver's door too ? Is there a way of doing a diag on it ?
j_roc

Post by j_roc »

Im to knackred now, but if you wait till tomorrow I will go out to the Xantia and have a look to see if the multiplug on mine is connected or unconnected - as I <i>still</i> havent put the bottom half of the dashboard back on since fitting the boost gauge - Alex.
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

hehe... sounds familiar.
I've just discovered, something I have seen in every other 1.9TD engine, seems to be missing in mine. Namely, the black plastic thing to the right of the coolant reservoir, this, to be exact :
http://thereilly.dyndns.org/images/junk/xantia/403.jpg
It sounds strange, but whatever it is, it's not preset on mine. Theres just an empty area beside the coolant reservoir, with a metal 'shelf' below.... any ideas what it is ?
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ciaran</i>

The tipping mirror is class, a few XMs have them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Do you mean the passenger side rear view mirror tilting down when in reverse ? My VSX Xantia does that. [:D] Cool little feature...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
I'm wondering now what the hell this unconnected multiplug is for.... everything on the dash is working, bar the alarm.
There is HEAPS of stuff under the passenger seat on my VSX, maybe the disconnected plug on yours is for VSX features like the tilting mirror ? (The SX doesn't have a tilting mirror)
By the way, not all Xantia's have alarms my VSX doesn't have one nor does it have the deadbolts, although it could be a regional thing as it looks like Xantia's in the UK more commonly have the alarm...
Regards,
Simon
Ciaran
My Cars:

Post by Ciaran »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Mandrake</i>
Do you mean the passenger side rear view mirror tilting down when in reverse ? My VSX Xantia does that. [:D] Cool little feature...
Yep, is very nifty [:D]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">There is HEAPS of stuff under the passenger seat on my VSX, maybe the disconnected plug on yours is for VSX features like the tilting mirror ? (The SX doesn't have a tilting mirror)<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The weird thing is, it's just kind of dangling there... and it looks like its been disturbed... as in, the carpet around that area has been removed. It's not tucked away or anything...
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">By the way, not all Xantia's have alarms my VSX doesn't have one nor does it have the deadbolts, although it could be a regional thing as it looks like Xantia's in the UK more commonly have the alarm...<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I've since found out it does have it, just the siren was disabled.... and the alarm only activates with the plip (which of course, I don't have [:)])
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Ciaran</i>

hehe... sounds familiar.
I've just discovered, something I have seen in every other 1.9TD engine, seems to be missing in mine. Namely, the black plastic thing to the right of the coolant reservoir, this, to be exact :
http://thereilly.dyndns.org/images/junk/xantia/403.jpg
It sounds strange, but whatever it is, it's not preset on mine. Theres just an empty area beside the coolant reservoir, with a metal 'shelf' below.... any ideas what it is ?
Huh ??
That black plastic box is the box that contains the engine ECU, and Hydractive 2 ECU on models that have it. Surely your car has the engine ECU ? All the Haynes pictures for the different engines all show that box...
Here are a couple of pics of my 2 litre petrol showing the box and whats in it. Lid on:
http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ngine1.jpg
Lid off: (Left unit is engine ECU, right is HA2 computer)
http://homepages.igrin.co.nz/simon/imag ... ngine2.jpg
If your ECU isn't there I wonder where it is ???
Regards,
Simon