Should I buy a lottery ticket?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bbrucez
My Cars:

Should I buy a lottery ticket?

Post by bbrucez »

Finished putting wheels back in the dark like you do and went for a 3 mile test drive and get some fuel.
Got back home, started tidying up tools etc only to realised I had left the locking wheel nut adaptor on one of the wheels and it was gone! [:(!] Never done it before ever.
Retraced my steps with my eye on the gutter - sae a few shiny objects but only tin cans.
Got to the service station thinking the worst when lo and behold - there was my locking wheel nut adaptor in the middle of the forecourt![:D]
Made a mental note to double check in future.
Just one ticket should suffice!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If it had been your wallet, I doubt if it would still have been there!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Lucky I didn't see it!! Thats the sort of thing I pick up and put in my "that'll maybe be useful one day" box...........none of it ever is any use, however!!!
I don't think these will stop wheel thieves at all now- Sealey are now listing a special socket that will remove any locking wheel nut..........its aimed at people who like you have lost the adapter, but it won't be long before the tealeaves spot that it exists.....
http://www.tooled-up.com/Product.asp?PID=109639
And its only a tenner........
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

Lucky, never did find mine which went missing some time before I realised, sure it was in my tool kit, but may well have been left at the garage when it had last been in.
tried one of the reverse-threaded socket removers - didn't work on the ones I had on my XM alloys though :-( were just too small to go over the outer lip of the bolt, and too big for the inner section. ended up using a centre punch and a 4-pound hammer to jolt them loose with a lot of hammering.
regards
bbrucez
My Cars:

Post by bbrucez »

Mine are inset into the wheel quite a bit - I had visions of having to wreck the wheels.
Looks like the £10 tool needs an air impact wrench so the tealeaves will need that as well!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

That Sealey tool won't shift the locking nuts on my Xantia, they are fairly deep inside the wheel and there isn't a lot of clearance between them and the walls of the hole they go into so it would be a bit tight. With mine I suspect that if I lost their key I'd be removing them with a drill.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

I'd remove those special locking bolts and bin them before I lose/misplace the tool. Really who is going to steal Xantia wheels .... I'd just replace them with a normal wheel bolt while you still have the special tool (after all, anyone that's going to want to pinch the Xantia wheels will already have the locking tool anyway).
seeya,
Shane L.
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

I've a similar story.
A mate had been round for the weekend and we had changed the wishbones on his 205.
After putting it back on the ground we ran it up the road and around a roundabout at which point we heard a grating followed by a 'ping'.
We stopped and got out to discover the spanner which had been counter holding the last bolt [;)] but in a crack in the road next to it was a 8mm socket just like mine.
I checked my toolkit and it was mine - I had changed my front pads the previous weekend and I must have left it on and lost it in exactly the same place!
mipzter
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

My locking bolt tool came with a code number to order a replacement if I lose it.
Don't they all?