Info about Saxo 1.5 D '96

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

NiSk
My Cars:

Info about Saxo 1.5 D '96

Post by NiSk »

Seen an ad for one of these - it's a very unusual vehicle for scandinavia and I wonder if anyone on the forum could fill me in with some info - especially about the engine.
//NiSk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The 1.5 engine is much better than the 1.4 fitted to earlier AX's, being all cast iron block. The Saxo is OK, as far as it goes, but the pedals are a long way offset and there have been quite a few reports of severe corrosion around the rear subframe mounts / chassis members. Beloved of modifiers over here! But really, it's a typical small car - I'd avoid like the plague, but then big cars (well, those wearing Citroen badges anyway!) are cheap over here!
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

Saxo AKA Peugeot 106. Good small car if you can live with the driving position limitations outlined above. (If you are tall or intend to make long journeys, forget it). The 1.5 litre TUD5 is an outstanding unit for economy and performance, with most of the design flaws of the previous generation of diesels designed out. For example, the cooling system is virtually self-venting and the glow plugs are fully accessible. Do not overfill this unit with oil - no more than 3/4 full, or else the timing belt oils up.
Following the notes about structural rust on these vehicles I have kept a very sharp eye on my 7 yr old 106. I cannot find any evidence of rusting around the front legs or rear subframe mounts, and the outer panels are obviously galvanised. The problem area is under the boot floor, which looks like a scrapyard - waxoyl needed in all seams and inside the hollow sections here.
Otherwise, a brilliant car at today's fuel prices (65 mpg in town, repeatably).
rotodiesel.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I already have a big Cit - one of the biggest - an XM 2.5TD Break and the road tax is killing me! So I though I'd try and pick up a lightweight diesel. The XM costs around £500/year in road tax over here in Sweden. If the spec I have seen for the Saxo is correct, that it has a kerb weight of around 900 kg, that would equate to a yearly road tax of about £150. An if, also as specified, it has a fuel consumption of around 55 mpg (5.0 l/100km) then it would be a good replacement for our second car (currently a 1986 Audi 100 Avant). I'm going to keep the XM of course - there's nothing like it for long journies, but the Audi has seen better days and is falling apart at the moment.
//NiSk
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

For its cost, the 106D is probably the best small car I've ever owned. Obviously, due to PSA parentage, there have been problems, and the reliability will never match Japanese standards until they stop buying bits from Valeo. However, parts are cheap and pattern parts readily available here, so no complaints.
The diesel is a real cracker, and the handling will put a smile on your face - I hope you're not too tall to fit into it!
rotodiesel.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

More questions: is the 1.5 D found elswhere? (except in the Pug 106, of course). Where did it come from? Is it a down-sized 1.9? Are there any turbo versions? Is it fitted with an EPIC or a Bosch injection system? Are the body panels similar to the 106? (insurance problems otherwise - they appear never to have been officially imported to Sweden).
ANDERS DK if you read this, is/was the Saxo sold in Denmark?
//NiSk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

if you need a brand new engine for it i have got one for sale,it would cost aprox £3000 squid from cit/pug over here,i just want around £750,and it is brand new never been in a car its a TUD1.5D
regards malcolm
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

The 1.5D started life in the AX before the Saxo/106 its also been used in the Rover Metro/100. I couldnt kill mine when I had one, the rest of the car fell to bits first.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Thanks for the offer Malcom, but I havn't even decided on buying it yet! and hopefully it won't need a new engine just yet!
//NiSk
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

The 1.5D started life in the AX before the Saxo/106 its also been used in the Rover Metro/100. I couldnt kill mine when I had one, the rest of the car fell to bits first.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ill think you will find the AX & the early 106s had the 1.4 litre TU diesel engine.
1.5 litre TU diesel came in with the Saxo & second generation 106
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I thought late AX were 1.5D's - ie iron blocked.
As a comment I think 106/Saxo may be heavy to steer and power not very common. We know someone with a 1.6 petrol SR or something (Always thought SR was a toothpaste) and she complains of its weight.
jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

This one has PS and airbags!
//NiSk
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

yes they did fit TUD5 1.5D in the AX as well as 1.4
regards malcolm
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

I've had an AX with the 1.5D engine so yes, they exist!
In practise I found it only slightly more economical than a ZX 1.9TD, on my commute. However the ZX is luxury compared to the AX and has some measure of performance...I imagine the extra weight of the Saxo (over the AX) would make the Saxo slow to say the least.
I was not impressed by the cramped engine bay, fuel filter change was a pain (compared to the ZX).
As you might have guessed I sold the AX and got another ZX TD...
Simon
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

A friend of mine has one of these.
Super economic, will last a long time, and compared to the early 1.4D, has virtually no problems (if i'm not mistaken, the 1.4 block had head gasket problems).
He uses it for freeway trips daily and city driving, and at some 200.000kms is still going strong.