Performance Air Filter ???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Performance Air Filter ???

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi All,
Does anyone forsee any problems if I fit a perfomance air filter(not the element type)in place of the standard air box and paper element.
I say this because I'm putting a lot of Motorway miliage on the Xantia and replacing the air filters fairly frequently(they're getting dirty quickly).
I have sitting in the garage a 'barely used' green cone shape air filter(similar to the K&N variety).It would be easier to clean this than to keep purchasing filter elements,but because the Xantia is a Diesel version I dont know if I will sufer from potential mixture problems as you could run into on a petrol versions.
Would anyone with greater knowledge be so kind to enlighten me on this matter.
Thanks in advance to you replies Stevie :)
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Filters go by engine size to ensure adequate air supply. If that Green filter looks quite smaller than your Xantia's original - then you know the Xantia will be short breathed.
BTW a diesel dont care about "mixture" in terms of more/less intake air. It will simply take the needed fuel for any given amount of air.
Meaning you get less oomph from your engine if air intake is reduced or restricted.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Thanks Anders for your reply.The filter in Question is a fair size and came from a 2 litre
Honda Accord(petrol).Hopefully it wont constrain the air flow as much as you say it could do.
What things (want for a better word)should I look out for if the filter is too small and not up
to the job.What should I notice the engine do or not do when I'm driving the car?
cavmad
My Cars:

Post by cavmad »

BTW a diesel dont care about "mixture" in terms of more/less intake air. It will simply take the needed fuel for any given amount of air.
Meaning you get less oomph from your engine if air intake is reduced or restricted.
[/quote]
Does it then follow that the car will run better with improved air intake? I wondered if I fitted a larger bore air pipe (as supplied with K+N type air filters) if it would improve economy? I have a 1.9 n/a BX diesel by the way.
Thankyou and regards,
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A filter that is too small will behave in exactly the same way as one that is blocked - ie it will not pass enough air when running hard and the thing will balck smoke from the exhaust.
As a matter of interest a turbo-diesel will use much more air than a naturally aspirated petrol engine of the same volume. However the TD BX and the 16 valve used the same filter as indeed does the Mazda MX5.
If you're suspicious, take the thing off, make sure there's no loose crud around and take it for a drive. If it seems quicker with no filter you know its causing a problem. In reality the filters don't remove much dirt as they take 12,000 miles or more to need replacing so a short run won't do much damage especially if its damp. Obviously driving in a sandstorm would be unwise.
Jeremy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

All that dirt on your filter would have ended up in your engine without it, but if your engine is breathing oil mist that will make the dirt stick to the filter and many other places too. You cant make a turbo diesel run rich unless you completely strangle it because if the pressure in the inlet manifold drops the pump will throttle back the fuel.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

surely you would have to make sure that you got cold air instead of hot air from inside the engine compartment as you would lose power not gain it?
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Surely its just easier and safer to continue using an original filter for what its worth, and there not exactly expensive and that difficult to change...to avoid messing with the car just stick with the original...its nice to spend some money on the car :)
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It will probably make your car a lot noisier!!!
When the filter housings air intake pipe collapsed internally on my BX I took it off until I could get a replacement, and even though the filter was still in place and working the difference in noise was incredible-it just boomed at a really annoying frequency, and I was glad to get a replacement piece of pipe!!!!
Stick with standard for a relaxing drive...........
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Performance filters are OK and the problem of cleaning and oiling them is small since you do it every now and then. And the noise, it depends if your taste. I like the intake noise my car makes. I made an Intake kit for my car with a K&N filter and so far, no problems.
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

basil40

Post by basil40 »

I put one of those things on my Xantia VSX. I'd stick to the paper ones because the first thing that happened was that it perforated when you just touched it!!! don't be fooled.......
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

A larger bore intake pipe will not always improve airflow. Faster moving air (in a smaller pipe) is at lower than atnospheric pressure and has the effect of sucking more air in as well as keeping a constant smooth flow. If you were to fit a larger bore pipe then you could find that you lose out on mid range power and fuel consumption.
steviewonder7
My Cars:

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hmmm,seems like I might be sticking to the standard air filters going by the general concensus
here.I dont need anymore hassel.
Cheers all for your thoughts :)