Help from Xantia estate owners please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Alec,
I have tested my estate and the results are:
1) With the door open the catch can be tripped into two positions.
2) With the catch in the second position the release lever has a different feel. You can feel the two positions releasing.
3) My rear door only catches on the first position no matter how hard I shut it
4) It has never come open
5) The alarm works perfectly
Hope this helps
Richard
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

mr citronut this is my first xantia so its all new to me thanx
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I may as well add here that my Mk1 estate boot is like Richards. It only shuts on the first click and has never given me trouble. With the tailgate open I can get both first and second clicks; although the second click is so far back there is not room for the striker bar to activate it.
Um, I have to admit that before this thread I had never noticed! Is the catch is adjustable? I won't be delving too deep into this as I have recently had to re-seal the plastic membrane [:(] - if it remains sealed I won't disturb it but I will investigate if it leaks again...
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Dave if you remove the inner boot lid cover it reveals the bolt's for the boot catch so you don't have to remove the liner. But don't over tighten the bolt's, er, or It may crack the plastic ooops.
Cheer's RichG for checking it look's like It's meant to be one click then.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

most citroens old and newish have allways had boot locks with two clicks,example BXs should shut onto second click,so i think this prob must be either cars that have had rear damage,or they are not adjusted corectly,or even bent check plate loop
regards malcolm
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by davek-uk</i>

I have recently had to re-seal the plastic membrane [:(] - if it remains sealed I won't disturb it but I will investigate if it leaks again...
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Dave, what did you use to seal it?
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Malcolm,
I have owned the car from new. It has never been involved in an accident (must touch some wood), the check plate loop is perfectly straight and, to my recollection, the boot has never been any different. I would have noticed as when the mechanism is on the second click, with the door opened, the feel of the release lever is totally different as you can feel both 'notches' releasing.
Looking at the loop and the lock I agree with dave-uk that it looks unlikely that the check plate loop could actually move the mechanism to the second click.
Richard
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Moving on to sealing the membrane for a second; I initially used ordinary silicone sealant, which worked for about a year. Recently I tried another brand of silicone sealant for bathrooms and I think it got wet before it cured and as a result it never dried and leaked within a few days. I have just used exterior window sealant and was pleased to see that it cured overnight. So far I've had a perfectly dry boot.
To assist the drainage of water I cut three long drain holes (under both drain outlets from the centre box section and under the central lever brackets) halfway up the slope above the bottom seal. This, I hope, will prevent most of the water from ever reaching the membrane seal and the four small drain holes.
I've had slight water ingress for some time and was always blaming it on the tailgate seal as the tailgate liner never seemed wet. Only when the leak became worse did I realise the membrane was leaking again. I'm hoping I've cured it for good this time - I'm really looking forward to reinstalling the thick, spongy carpet again!
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

Anyway, back to the boot lock mechinism; has anyone found a way to adjust the rotating latch so that it starts to lock sooner? It would appear that a number of us can close on the first click only - the second click being far too far round to ever be used. Oh, and it has to be adjustable without removing the membrane!
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

Mine always does two clicks- but only when it feels like it. Sometimes it doesn't lock, other times it doesn't unlock. Stripped and cleaned everything. Suppose it must be the solenoid, but I live with it. Console yourself with the fact that if the perimeter alarm is working and it doesn't lock there is a very loud noise if someone tries to get in.[:D][:D][:D]