Help from Xantia estate owners please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Help from Xantia estate owners please.

Post by user_3150 »

As you have probably seen in other posts my boot catch is duff. Could someone with an estate please let me know does your boot lid do just 1 click or 2 (like the doors) when you close it. I belive the problem with mine setting off the alarm is because it will only ever do the 1st click. If I open the boot and push the catch it does do 2 click's o.k. I've spent ages adjusting the catch with no success. Thanks in advance.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Alec,
If you can expain more clearly what you want I will try some experiments on my estate.
If I understand you correctly you mean that the side doors have a pert latched condition where they are neither fully shut but cannot be opened without using the handle. On my estate rear door I just let it shut under its own weight and it normally latches. The only times when this does not happen is when something in the boot stops it shutting fully. The lock appears to either fully lock or not lock (does that make sense?).
I had alarm problems last year however cahnging the sensors (about £25 from the main stealer) cured it.
Richard
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

Hi Alec,
I have a pre facelift Estate with the keypad by the gearlever, so it may be different to yours. I have had problems with my tailgate not locking or not unlocking for ages [:(!], my remote has now packed up as well, so I am unable to set the alarm any longer [:(][:(][:(], but from what I remember there were two clicks from the tailgate the same as the other locks. I traced at least part of the problem to the point where the wiring comes out of the bodywork and into the tailgate, there was at least one broken wire at that point in the rubber boot which caused the lock not to work, due to fatigue from the constant flexing of the wires presumably. I am not sure if the dead lock is a separate wire but a check in the BOL (Haynes) should show it
Pete
________
Hot Box Vaporizer
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

Alec, I had exactly the same problem as you.
Shut the boot/hatch and the alarm would beep when set. Adjust the lock up and down, adjust the catch in and out, sometimes it works sometimes not.
Lock the car only to find the back is open.
Unlock the car only to find the back is locked.
All sound familiar?
The fault in the end was the central locking solenoid.
I replaced it with a spare BX side door solenoid, 2 self tapping screws.
Fault gone, locks every time 100%, alarm works 100%
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Mine does same - now I know its the solenoid - I'll change that!
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

As I said the BX ones are the same and available cheaply
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think you'll find that the BX rear door solenoid is very similar to the generic ones sold by people like maplins. Its the 2 wire one. their 5 wire bolts straight into a BX front door with no modification except wiring (removal of plug)
jeremy
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Sorry for delay in reply but basically RichG what you say is correct. That is what I'm asking. I know my solenoid is a problem but that only effects the locking side but the alarm switch is connected to the "catch" side on my lock so if the solenoid locks or not it doesn't effect my alarm. Also £25 from main stealer I will get the sensors from their.
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Cheaply from where?
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Also any help with original request from this post much appreciated.
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Alec</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bernie</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote"> Cheaply from where?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Second hand from scrap yards
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

have you tried adjusting the strike plate on boot floor,or even adjust the angle of the metal loop,as what i have seen many a time on BXs is the loop on strike plate gets bent up,this maybe due to over loading the boot then when you shut tail gate it hits the strike plate wrong and bends it up,i usuly fix this with a big hammer,i know but hammers have got a use in the right place
regards malcolm
toldem_oldham
My Cars:

Post by toldem_oldham »

I have 1998 estate and the rear hatch only clicks 1nce and have tried it several times
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

mr oldham perthapes yours is not shuting completly as well
regards malcolm
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Malcom I have taken the catch the car off and pushed it into the lock manually and this doesn't work either. It is just on the boarder line of going onto it's second latch but won't quite. This is why I suspect the lock is at fault.