C5 steering column revisited.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sir Clive

C5 steering column revisited.

Post by Sir Clive »

I posted here a couple of weeks about about the play in the botton UJ of my steering column. I couldn't see how to get the UJ off though, so I was forced to go to the local dealer. Actually the service bloke was very helpful....apparently this is NOT an unknown problem in the C5. The bad news is that the top half of the UJ is integral with the steering column, so the whole thing, or at least the lower half has to be replaced :-(
The price for the job is £370 fitted, and I'm not sure that includes VAT, I was so gobsmacked I forgot to ask.
The problem with the inoperative rear screenwash is a faulty valve assembly, which is a mere £53 to supply and fit.
Regards
Philip
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Phew! I thought XM spares were expensive!
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Well, I took the car into the local dealer yesterday for the work to be done.
When I went to collect it, the young lad on the reception desk said he'd done one just last week, so reading between the lines, it's getting to be a common problem on older cars [:(]
The good news is that the price quoted did include VAT, and the steering is now totally clonk and rattle free;it's actually made a huge improvement.
And the bad news? The steering wheel doesn't now point straight ahead when you're travelling in a straight line, so that has to be sorted. The electrovalve for the screenwash hadn't turned up either, so when it does they can do both jobs at the same time.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Sir Clive</i>
The price for the job is £370 fitted
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So what sort of mileage has that lasted?
Sir Clive

Post by Sir Clive »

Column was replaced at 75000 miles, when the problem had become very very irritating, and also when the free play at the rim was such that it would have failed the MOT [:(]
It sort of came on gradually, but must have been noticeable at about 60,000 miles.