Xantia TD auxilary belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

D.Slatford
My Cars:

Xantia TD auxilary belt

Post by D.Slatford »

This afternoon I set out intending to replace my aircon compressor and auxilary belt, which is looking a little frayed. Unfortunately I fell at the first hurdle and had to give up - just removing the belt!
It seems on my 1997 1.9TD the tensioner doesn't really resemble the set-up in the Haynes manual, which seems to talk about manual adjustment bolts that just aren't present even on automatic adjusters. The whole manual arm with the adjustment bolt on the end of it isn't present, and what seems to be the automatic tensioner pulley isn't in the same place as the diagram!
So, on these engines, how do I go about removing the belt? On other engines this is a trivial job, but in this small space I cannot see what gives to release the belt.
Deezel
My Cars:

Post by Deezel »

Well did you look in the centre of the tensioner pulley? I don't know if it's the same as the 2.1 diesel xantia but mine was adjusted by a 1/4 drive square hole in the wheel after slackening the allen headed bolt in the middle of the pulley,IE: loosen allen bolt, remove belt, fit new belt, tension using small 1/4 drive bar in square, tighten allen bolt.... I think some were fitted also with automatic tensioner
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Deezel</i>

Well did you look in the centre of the tensioner pulley? I don't know if it's the same as the 2.1 diesel xantia but mine was adjusted by a 1/4 drive square hole in the wheel after slackening the allen headed bolt in the middle of the pulley,IE: loosen allen bolt, remove belt, fit new belt, tension using small 1/4 drive bar in square, tighten allen bolt.... I think some were fitted also with automatic tensioner
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There's two pulleys, an upper and lower - which is the tensioner? The lower has the allen bolt (which didn't seem to want to budge) and square hole, yet the book makes no mention of adjusting those.
Deezel
My Cars:

Post by Deezel »

Hi if it has 2 then the top one is the automatic tensioner which should be held by insering a rod to hold it in place before you remove the belt, I'm not sure if the bottom pulley is held on a slotted bracket which is adjusted by a bolt from the bottom after slackening center pully bolt and the bolt in the slotted bracket, I've not worked on the 1.9 but I assume it's the same set up as peugeot 405 used, good luck anyway maybe a 1.9 owner can tell you better [:)]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

As Deezel says the top one is the automatic tensioner. It needs to be released by moving it upward using a hex key in the bracket and then locked using a bent bar. The Haynes BOL is good on this point. On my car (see below) the bottom pulley is an eccentric. The centre bolt needs to be undone and the puley centre swivelled to release the belt. The tension is adjusted without the automatic tensioner in place and then the bottom pully center bolt is done up real tight (at least 2 grunts!)
Richard
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Thanks for the pointers guys. Looking at the haynes again, it does lie - my 1.9TD appears follow the description of the 2.1! Seems reasonably simple - lets see how this goes later.
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Another failure. It's clear what I have to do - move the tensioner clockwise, lock it in place, then loosen the eccentric pulley. Simple, yes? No.
There's almost no room to inset <i>something</i> into the tensioner bracket to move it, and harder still to shine a light down there. The hole is directly opposite part of the chassis, obscuring everything, recessed by an inch or so. Haynes suggests it's 3/8" square hole, the closest tool I could find was 10mm and 3/8" allen keys - both too small. I presume citroen have a particular tool just for this job? So infuriating being stumped by something so stupid [:(!]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I have a set of sump plug adaptors that I got from Screwfix. They are a set of short hex bars with various 'ends' on them. One of these is a 3/8" square. I can insert this and then use a ring spanner on the hex to move the adjuster.
Where abouts in the country are you?
Richard
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">[
Where abouts in the country are you?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That sounds ingenious. I'm in Wakefield, moreoften floating about between here, Leeds and York.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">the closest tool I could find was 10mm and 3/8" allen keys<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Allen keys won't work - the tool needs to be square[;)]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

D.
I am in Stockport. Close but not close enough!
The screwfix part that I use is this http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/sea/sea ... &x=13&y=13
Richard
D.Slatford
My Cars:

Post by D.Slatford »

Thanks for pointing those out - handy tools, have ordered a new set slightly cheaper from an ebay shop. Hope it's not raining this weekend, hopefully get this belt off and compressor changed then!