Xantia water pump renewal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

steviewonder7
My Cars:

Xantia water pump renewal

Post by steviewonder7 »

Hi Folks,
Next month I will be attempting to renew the Xant timing belt and whilstI was in the vicinity I would like to change the water pump(wise idea I believe) as the car has covered over 95k miles (still an infant)and the last belt change was at 72k(so the previous keeper said).Can you folks advise me on any potential difficulties in fitting the new water pump that the Haynes manual doesn't cover?Also which supplier for the water pump would I be wise to go to,as I want the pump to last as long aspossible (as we all do).I know there's no garantee for anything nowadays so which is it to be,a citroen stealer or GSF or someone else who you folks can recommend?
Many thanks in advance to your replys :)
Stevieboy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I have used a GSF pump on my XM and have had no problems. Do make sure that you get all the old gasket off before fitting the new one.
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

last belt 74k .... just over 95k ..... it should be good for about another 20k shouldnt it????
rotodiesel

Post by rotodiesel »

I think renewal of the water pump is a wise decision - in my experience, the idlers on these engines are of good quality (sealed bearings, steel running surfaces) but the pumps are less good, and bearing failure here spells doom. So far, a GSF supplied pump has been OK.
The only problem I had was getting the old pump out of the block, depite the bolts coming out easily. I finally managed it by hitting the pump pulley wheel downwards, then inseting a wide but thin bladed screwdriver into the resulting small gap. I then hit the pulley again from underneath, repeating the procedure a few times. It's important not to use the screwdriver as a lever, otherwise the block face will be damaged. If the gasket is an O ring, a smear of silicone grease is advisable.
rotodiesel.
sdabel
My Cars:

Post by sdabel »

While you are there you may as well change the pump. GSF one in my XM has been fine to date. My (XM) experiance is that you may want to check the crankshaft harmonic pulley while you are there.
regards
sean