Veg Oil

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PicassoPigeon
My Cars:

Post by PicassoPigeon »

But what is a waste oil? How does one make new oil into waste? Heat it and then put it in your car?
Also on the Customs web site under the business brief its says that Biodiesel is taxed at the 28.1ppl.
Biodiesel is a diesel quality fuel that is produced from either biomass or waste cooking oil. It must also meet the following conditions:
The ester content must be no less than 96.5 per cent by weight and
The sulphur content must not exceed 0.005 per cent by weight, or be nil.
Rapeseed is biomass and if waste veg oil meets the above conditions then so must new oil.
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">It doesn't work out as cheaply as illegal use but at least you are covered if you get stopped and dipped. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Has anyone ever been "dipped" that we know of? Presumably the Police smell chips, call the inspectors around and take a sample?
Serious question by the way and curious.
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

I have just recently registered with HN R&C. I agree that the detail they supply on their website is contradictory in areas. I was totally honest with them, and said that I would only be using SVO (brand new Straight Veg Oil) added to the diesel in my tank.
Their rules have changed recently and the website data is having difficulty keeping up. Previously you were not able to mix different duty products without incurring the highest duty but now you are able to do this. And the 'biodiesel' doesn't have to be used all the time as one of their documents says, "This does not mean that the 'biofuel' must be able to run the engine exclusively. Most vehicles require a blend of biodiesel (approx 5 per cent) and ordinary diesel (approx 95 per cent) to meet manufacturers' specifications." - check out their Business Brief 10/05 dated 07Apr05, it's the latest guidelines.
I have never been dipped but I believe I have seen a dipping session being conducted - they were concentrating on goods vehicles though. I agree the chance of being dipped in normal driving is very unlikely but on the other hand the penalties for being caught are severe (I believe).
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I have never been dipped but I believe I have seen a dipping session being conducted - they were concentrating on goods vehicles though. I agree the chance of being dipped in normal driving is very unlikely but on the other hand the penalties for being caught are severe (I believe).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Up to £2000 fine and possible imprisonment isn't it? Have to check.
cavmad
My Cars:

Post by cavmad »

What they (the Ministry) do is set up roadside checks and they WILL pull cars in as well as vans and lorries. They also occasionally stop outside motor auctions and dip anything that is diesel. I know this because I used to work at an auction and a lad I worked with there had a work`s pick-up. Someone had put cherry in it (they had a `red` tank where he worked in his other job) and he got caught. £500 on the post fine and because he didn`t have the money on him they towed his vehicle off to Manchester and he was charged 170 odd quid for the privelidge.
I know the Ministry used to be on the A483 in Welshpool, mid Wales, very regulary as they have a weekly sheep auction and they were always (allegedly) catching farmers out in Landrovers running on red.
I`m going to check the official website out for the latest rules on duty and weigh up if it`s worth it or not. I`d be very interested to find out if my n/a 1.9 diesel BX will run on `used` vegetable oil from a chipshop. I have been told it will without problems but I`d imagine I`m going to have to filter it somehow. One concern though with this is that I`d guess that the chipshops probably need a Waste Transfer Certificate for their old oil and might not be happy to let me take it. Also once registered for using spent chip shop oils is that if I get stopped and they ask me where I got the fuel from they would then fall foul of the waste licensing authorities?