bhp upgrade

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crooser

bhp upgrade

Post by crooser »

i have had a lot of common sense since i have been on this forum and that is why i am posting the following question.i know the car isn't a citroen but i am sure i will get some sensible answers.volvo td 163bhp.by "remapping" the ecu and sensors the output can be increased to 226bhp with normal emissions and no damage to the engine.does anyone have any experience of this sort of mod and are there any risks? i would welcome any answers.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

My Leon can apparently be boosted from 150 to 180 BHP for about £550. Which would be exciting! [:0]
(I say 'my'....its actually my employers which is why I wouldn't do it!).
Everything is electronically controlled on these modern diesels. An ECU reprogramme can alter the fuelling and boost, and probably the rev limiter too, without the trial and error of the old-style mechanical diesels.
If its from a reputable supplier it should be OK, as long as you don't thrash it all the time (most engines aren't usually at maximum stress like a racing engine might be). Superchips claim to have an upgrade from 163 BHP to 194 BHP, so 226 does sound ambitious!
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

163 to 226 sounds a little over optimistic. More like 175-180.
crooser

Post by crooser »

chiptuning is the web address of the company who do the upgrade and from their site ads they seem to be well clued up.however at the moment i will keep an open mind.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You're shortening the life of your engine doing this sort of thing. Any engine is engineered to be durable at a given power output, with a margin for safety. If you step outside that margin the engine won't live very long at all, you have to remember that diesel engines have been going up in power output so the safety margins have been reducing.
Nobody produces a diesel engine that produces 100bhp per litre that is roughly what you'll end up with, (the two highest specific power outputs I can think of are BMW engines, 150bhp from 2 litres 75bhp per litre, 272 bhp from 3 litres, 90 bhp per litre.)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you shorten its life it probably won't be your problem anyway will it - What I mean is that if you're lucky it will last while you have the car.
Remember that insurers normally small sense of humour will dissappear altogether if you claim and they find you have this sort of device fitted.
Jeremy
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

"Remember that insurers normally small sense of humour will dissappear altogether if you claim and they find you have this sort of device fitted." Let alone the fine for driving whilst uninsured. And if a third party is involved and they sue, etcetc.
rbruce1314
My Cars:

Post by rbruce1314 »

But when I chipped my Xantia the insurance company only wanted £1 a week extra........
madmanbob
My Cars:

Post by madmanbob »

The BMW 2 litre is in fact 163 bhp so that works out at 81.5 bhp per litre. Their bikes however are around 150 bhp per litre and I have seen some with 200000 miles on them.
crooser

Post by crooser »

reading all your replies and various web sites of people who seem to know what they are talking about it seems that the increase to 205bhp can bring with it a host of problems,namely excess heat, altered power curves and injector lifespan.volvo people say that the max power for this engine should be no more thwn 185bhp which is what their later diesels pump out.i think i would stick with that if i decide to uprate.from your replies it seems that further investigation is needed.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by madmanbob</i>

The BMW 2 litre is in fact 163 bhp so that works out at 81.5 bhp per litre. Their bikes however are around 150 bhp per litre and I have seen some with 200000 miles on them.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats the newest one, the last version of the engine was, as Kowalski said, 150bhp. A mate of mine has just got a 1 series with the 163bhp engine in it- it is really quick, I havent driven it myself but being a passenger it felt fast. He can apparently get it tuned to 199bhp![:0] but he's decided against it as he's getting a van!!!!
It interesting the way a lot of these chip-tuning companies say "..longevity of the engine is reduced by about 5%...." I dont think a lot of them have actually tested this, they just copy what other companies say.
Sl4yer - I like the Leon's, they have been around for a while now but still look good. Ive heard that the lag on the 150 VAG engine is bad (from reviews) compared to the 130 due to the larger turbo, have you found this?
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>
Sl4yer - I like the Leon's, they have been around for a while now but still look good. Ive heard that the lag on the 150 VAG engine is bad (from reviews) compared to the 130 due to the larger turbo, have you found this?
Its not too bad. It will pull from about 1100 rpm, and strongly from about 1400. You have to alter your driving style, but once you get used to it its not a problem.
I've never driven a VAG 130bhp diesel, but I have driven the Ford 128bhp unit in a Mondeo. My Leon is much more flexible, and easier to drive.
The new Leon is out soon, with the 138bhp diesel, and DSG paddle shift. I WOULD like one of those!
stubbsy

Post by stubbsy »

i also have a mate who has his tdi golf "chipped" to 200horses[:0]it is an awsome piece of kit. i drove it a few weeks ago and it made me wee my pants.[:p] the turbo on this thing comes in at 1100 revs and you really do need the 6 speed box thats in it.even in the dry the traction control kicks in from 1st to 3rd gear[:)] it looks nothing special no uprated alloys,bodykits etc just a bog standard looking tdi 5 door golf. absalute animal.he bought it new last year. but as i said to him HOW LONG WILL IT LAST? i only got the lone of it for half an hour or so but as said above you really have to alter your driving style. it is so difficult to drive normally (with the turbo kicking in at 1100) but what a fun car .he tells me he has so much fun with the boy racers in there type r civics.THIS IS COMMING FROM A 37 YEAR OLD
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

That's the trouble. Six speed 'box? No torque then. If you only want it as a posing pouch for the GP des Phares well and good (But buy a petrol instead.) If you want to use it as long distance transport, dream on.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

That's the trouble. Six speed 'box? No torque then. If you only want it as a posing pouch for the GP des Phares well and good (But buy a petrol instead.) If you want to use it as long distance transport, dream on.
Lots of torque actually. An indicated 90mph is done at 2500 revs in the Leon. Right in the middle of the peak torque band. From around 60 to 110, each 10mph takes about 5 seconds, which is nice [;)]. Of course, it you want it quicker you have to use your left arm and change down (4th is VERY handy!). Cruising at 70 is very refined. Sixth is definitely more of an overdrive gear, but there is still enough go to use it at speeds above 50mph.