Clogged up CX Diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crooser

Post by crooser »

the 2.5 was all gear driven until the porous blocks came in from india with the series 2.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My 2.5 td was belt driven, it also had a pourous block! about 10 head gaskets and 3 heads in 160k!
crooser

Post by crooser »

guess where it came from peter n and what it was made from.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

Somewhere foreign and recycled beer cans?
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

I have a turbo 1, and various non-turbo engines (2 in vans) and they are all belt-drive engines. As far as everything I've seen, including the CX book released from Citroen customer relations in '82 all the 2.5D/TD engines are all belt drive.
Does anyone know if there was any difference (other than the horrible porosity) in the block between the turbo 1 and turbo 2? I'd like to fit an intercooler to mine to make it 120hp rather than 95.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldnt think so, most turbo engines seem to be the same, in fact the replacement heads I fitted were from non turbo engines and they were almost identical. I think its just heavier pistons and con rods and additional cooling. I would probably still be running my CX now if it wasn't for the block and lousy heater, but it had done 262k when I sold it.
fastandfurryous
My Cars:

Post by fastandfurryous »

Peter, I shall have to send you a copy of the CX "turbocharging" booklet I have. The modifications between Non-turbo and Turbo engines were plentiful: pistons, conrods, crank, block, oil pump, etc. Also, various internal casting differences in the head, and it and the valves are a different material too. Maybe this was partly the cause of your multiple gasket failures? who knows.
It's a shame the OP hasn't reported back about what he's found. The real point of the "belt or gears" debate was that yes, it is belt driven if it's a 2.5D engine, and some people don't realise. The belt gets neglected, stretches, becomes very slack and the timing suffers (could even jump a tooth). The belt I recently changed on my C25 2.5D van was in shocking condition, it looked like it had been on for all of the van's 140k miles, and was so slack it just fell off. Putting a new belt on has released about 15 more horses from the engine, and improved the economy by 5+ mpg.
crooser

Post by crooser »

they were certainly a workhorse peter n.i had about 7 or 8 of them, all non turbo and everyone you could fix yourself with no complicated electronics.i found that the only serious problem was that they kept rotting away.you could certainly do high mileage in them.take a look at todays' cars and look how many are modelled on the cx's streamlined low front.i think citroen have lost the plot now and have become just another car maker.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

citroen lost the plot when pugs took them over,its a bit like the new "fix or repaire daily" f**as with steering head lamps they think it is a first,they seem to forget citroen where doing that back in the 50/60s
regards malcolm