Banging noise when reversing...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Citroen man

Banging noise when reversing...

Post by Citroen man »

Hi all,
I need your help...
I have a citroen zx 1.9 diesel (1993, when I reverse the car it makes a thumping noise, worsened if you steer the car when reversing. Sometimes it will make no noise when reversing but will make a thud when you press the brakes whilst reversing. The noise is similar to that made by a dodgy driveshaft but I had a driveshaft changed not long ago and its ok when driving forward...
Any help would be most appreciated.
aengus
My Cars:

Post by aengus »

wishbone bushes perhaps? or engine mount/stabiliser?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Thud when you press the brakes may be pad knocking as it moves to the other end of its slot - in which case its nothing to worry about. Could also be the subframme needs tightening.
Jermy
rg
My Cars:

Post by rg »

I had similar on the XM - it was anti-rattle pins come loose. Those pads make a fair old "clunk"...
rg
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I went to look at the Xantia I have now, I noticed that the front wall of the owner's garden had a small piece missing off the corner. The car had a scrape on the rear corner, (badly touched up I might add), the previous owner's wife too had suffered from a banging noise while reversing too...
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Does the jack sit inside the spare wheel on a ZX like on a BX?- I wrapped mine in rags because it used to bang around sometimes, in a rather disconcerting manner!!!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

ZX should have a rather neat plastic box for the jack. It is clipped alongside the spare wheel on the cradle. I think the theory is that you get someone else to change a wheel for you or only have punctures in dry weather.
Jeremy